1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by keshafan, Nov 5, 2014.

1. keshafan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have been in a dilemma. When I meet new people, who I am trying to be friends with should I be open and out with them? I have come out to one of my siblings and my mom. My stepdad doesn't know and my extended family doesn't know. I have very few friends and want to make some, but I don't know what to do in that situation. What would you do?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Openness and honesty is important in any meaningful relationship, it helps us to connect with people and it brings us closer together (hiding our true selves disconnects us), so my personal approach would be to come out sooner rather than later. You don't have to mention it within the first ten minutes, but the longer you leave it the harder it will be. Real friendships are based upon trust and authenticity and it shouldn't matter to a real friend if you are gay.

Good luck with making new friends. :slight_smile:

3. keshafan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks! :slight_smile: I appreciate it! I have thought from the beginning that it would be better to be open about it but I just didn't known if it was a good idea, but u really made it clear that it is better to be hinest. Thanks a ton! :slight_smile:

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed with Patrick. I've found that it's best to have a policy of openness with friends you want to develop close relationships with. Don't hide it, don't fear telling them. If it comes up in conversation, it comes out.
    The friends I've shared my sexuality with are much closer to me than those that I haven't.
    Hope you make some new friends. We're always here. (*hug*)

5. GewfyGlenn

Where I am at personally, is if you ask, I will tell you. I have no reason to hide it, or if asked the question "So why isn't a guy like you married yet?" (I hear that alot :frowning2: )
    I simply respond "I haven't met the right man yet." They usually say "Oh" and move on. It really isn't a big deal with most people

:thumbsup:

6. keshafan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everybody for the support! :slight_smile: I really appreciate it! And I need it! :slight_smile: does anyone have any tips on how to make new friends? I used to have a ton but I moved and now I am really shy and I now I have very few.

7. GewfyGlenn

My best tip ~ be nice and smile a lot. That is an incredibly attractive quality and if you smile often it will intrigue people to want to get to know you better, and moreso be yourself!

8. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, if someone I barely knew out of the blue told me their sexuality, I would be a little weirded out. I would wonder why they were telling me that. When I meet people, I don't tell them about my sexuality. Actually, most of my friends still think that I am bisexual. If someone were to ask, I'd just say "Romantic". Wait to tell them about your sexuality until you know them better.

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2014 at 01:38 AM ----------

Take a class. I met one of my closes friends at an art course in community college.

9. keshafan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks! I will try those! :slight_smile: