1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice wanted and pre-appreciated!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by oaklyfe, Nov 6, 2014.

1. oaklyfe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I am Queer. Don't ask me what that means to me because I am still figuring it out. Right now I am in my first year at an all women's college and L.O.V.I.N.G it. I came to school knowing I was attracted to men and women. However I had never explored my attraction to women before, and I had never even admitted out loud that I was attracted to women. The school I go to is AMAZING for someone like me who is questioning. If this school is anything, its accepting. Very quickly I made friends, and those friends know that I am attracted to women and would very much like to pursue a romantic relationship with a women. HOWEVER.... I am not out to my parents, friends outside of school, extended family, or even my own dog. (Weird but he's my best pal maybe I should let him know... he is good about keeping things to himself...) My parents raised me to be totally accepting of everyone's choices. I am not at all concerned about their reaction. For the most part I think they will be totally unfazed, although my mom might have trouble at first. My dad? Zero the guy is legendary. I am extremely close to my East Coast family and they are the one I fear will not accept me. I don't know how to tell my parents because I know they will tell their siblings, and then I'll be known as the only queer family member on either side. How do I know if or when I am ready for that?

2. musicalturtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm probably not the most qualified person for this, I only came out to my mum today. But if it feels right and you feel ready that's the best indicator. My advice would be to think about it, do you want them to know? If yes, then figure out when and where you want to tell them.
    Hope this was helpful!! Xx

3. poetofdarkness

Like you, I too am the only gay person in my family. I thought my family would be accepting when I came out and they were and still are. In my honest opinion coming out is the most relieving thing ever, so I think you should do it.

4. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that you are doing great ! Don't worry you will come out when you are ready I say try to not rush things it will happen when you are ready . So I say enjoy life relax take a deep breath and enjoy !!