1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would anyone be willing to proofread this coming out Facebook Post?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rainbowfish, Nov 6, 2014.

1. rainbowfish

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like the post says, quite a few people have known about my sexuality for a while, but I'm in a place where I am confident and ready for all friends/distant relatives to know, so I'm planning on making this Facebook post. Any advice or constructive criticism is very welcome! Thanks is advance!

Since I have graduated high school I have made a lot of decisions and choices in the effort of improving my life and general happiness.. I have made a tremendous effort to be completely honest and transparent with people. It’s not like I was a liar, but I was frequently guilty of lying by omission or not correcting people and letting them make incorrect assumptions, and most of all carefully crafting half-truths that were as vague and inoffensive as possible. I am done with this now. In the interest of complete honest transparency: My name is NOT GETTING POSTED ONLINE. I am an 18 year old girl, I live in SOMEWHERE. I am a physics major, and a vegetarian. Cats are my favorite animal even though I’m allergic, my sign is Cancer, and I am gay. Not a single in of these identifiers can sum me up as a whole, just as no person can be summed up entirely by one word. But everybody already knew I was allergic to cats. My close family and a decent number of friends have known about my sexuality for years, and I’m sure a number of others have guessed. But I am ready and very happy to let everyone know this. Complete transparency, remember? I guess the most important thing is that I am happy and honestly don’t care what other people think; I have had a lot of time to realize that counting on the approval of others for happiness is in vain. All I ask is that you have some type of problem, or some issue, don’t harass or fling shit around. Just unfriend and unfollow me and we can both carry on with our lives, happy and independent of each other.

2. shinji

shinji Guest

Sorry if i may seem a bit harsh in my response but... I feel that people will be discouraged about reading the whole post, due to it's length. It's the whole mentality of people on Facebook in general.

This can have somewhat severe repercussions on you, if too many people decide to simply skip out your post for the abovementioned reason, and not "like" it, you might find yourself questioning whether they didn't like it intentionally or if they just didn't read it.

You go on explaining things that even though, might be dear to you, are somewhat irrelevant to the situation. Stretching the whole post unnecessarily and diluting the factual information that you need to get across.

Also, near the end, you go on discussing your expectations of the possible reactions people might have, inadvertently showing disappointment before you've actually gotten a response to base your opinion on. People might not react negatively, why say that you expect them to?

Basically, it's a nice read, but not Facebook-worthy, which is not a bad thing, by any stretch of the imagination, because, Facebook is not a place where one can be true to himself and post away their feelings. Most people just don't care. It's just the way it works...

3. musicalturtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think it's a really well written and a good way to do it. I really like it but I agree that it may be a bit long. However I think people who really care will read it and others will skim it and get the main message.
    Also are you a need fighter? DFTBA(*hug*)

4. Rainbow Kitty

It's great! It is a bit long but it's perfect IMO. Good luck, wishing the best :]

5. rainbowfish

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, after reading comments and and my own post again, I agree that it's pretty long. I'm pretty bad about dressing stuff up and being too detailed and flowery with my language, my high school English teacher was always telling me to cut down lol. So how does this seem? It is till decently long but I have such a hard time cutting stuff out.

Since I have graduated high school I have made a tremendous effort to be completely honest and transparent with people. It’s not like I was a liar, but I frequently told careful half truths or let certain assumptions be made. I am done with this now: My name is NOPE. I am an 18 year old girl, I live in NOPE. I am a physics major, and a vegetarian. Cats are my favorite animal even though I’m allergic, my sign is Cancer, and I am gay. My close family and a decent number of friends have known about my sexuality for years, and I’m sure a number of others have guessed. But I am ready and very happy to let everyone know this, and don't care what people say. I have had time to realize that counting on others for happiness is in vain. All I ask is that you have some type of problem, or some issue, don’t harass or fling shit around. Just unfriend and unfollow me and we can both carry on with our lives, happy and independent of each other.

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2014 at 10:34 AM ----------

Thanks so much for your advice! I've done quite a bit of editing, the only thing ive left unchanged that you mentioned is the part about how other people might react. This is pretty specific to my situation, but I included that because there are some people who i know for a fact will no longer wish to stay in contact after I come out, but they will also be polite enough to remain silent since I asked, whereas they might not have otherwise. Also this way if someone does make rude comments, it places the blame on them and not me since I made it clear that I would rather the friendship be ended than be filled with fighting.

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2014 at 10:35 AM ----------

Yes is am! this is the first time I've run into another one on here!

6. niceguy44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's great. As for the comments about being too lengthy, I think it's fine. I put mine on FB, and it was a tad lengthy, I'll admit. My thought? So what! I was putting this out there so all would know. I was doing this for me..not for them. I couldn't believe the positive responses I'd received.

7. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the interest of proofreading, you have a double-period in the second line, after the word "happiness," and I think you accidentally left out the word "if" in your second to last sentence (All I ask is that if you have some sort of problem...). Just letting you know that in case you planned to just copy/paste and that kind of thing would get on your nerves (I know it would mine). Other than that, this is very well-written.

One thing I might suggest, though, is moving your main point a little closer to the start of the post. As a journalist, I've learned that the first sentence or two is all that people usually read, and Facebook is about the same. If your main point is that you're gay, you've sort of got it buried deep in the middle of your post. We call that "burying your lead" in journalism, as the lead is the most important bits of information that you want people to see. So if you actually want people to see that fact, you might move it up. I'm not saying the post is too long; just that you might want to think about re-organizing it so that you get a TL;DR version at the top in case people don't read the whole thing.

Also, sorry if I'm coming off as a pretentious git. Editing is something I really enjoy, so I tend to go a little overboard sometimes.

8. rainbowfish

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks so much for the advice! I'm terrible at proofreading, so kudos for catching my grammar quirks:slight_smile: Also your point about how people usually only read the first bit is really true (I know I do it) and I hadn't considered it before. Definitely gonna do some re-writing to move that closer to the start. And no worries about sounding pretentious, you just sound like someone really knowledgeable who cares enough to share that knowledge:slight_smile:

9. Really

Looks great to me.

One other grammar bit: "Not a single in of". Should "in" be "one"?

10. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that considering SwimScotty's comments, everything else is perfect. I like the idea of the main point being closer to the top, and then having the other supporting information behind the main point. That way if they wish to keep reading they can, if they just want to hit like and continue with their life they can. Makes it easier to get the word out, in my opinion :slight_smile: .

Good job!

11. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't read others' posts but I personally find it too long.

I understand how important it is to you ofc, but people's attention span on FB is extremely low. Not to mention all the talk about cats and allergies. I know you want to make it an interesting post, but you have to imagine the bored people slowly browsing their wall...

Also, I think the end, telling people to unfriend you if they don't like it etc. is not only unneccessary, but makes you seem still very insecure about all of this. Don't post things like that.

Keep it short to something like "Since I have ended highschool I've made a lot of steps to make myself completely happy and this is one of them. I am gay. All of the most important people in my life already know, but I want to be completely transparent with everybody."

Ofc write it in your own words and feel free to add more to the post if you feel like it, but put the point right into the beginning.

That's my personal advice.