1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay in School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by falcenav, Nov 7, 2014.

1. falcenav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Today was very eventful in terms of gay stuff. In one of my classes we were talking about how the CEO of Apple came out of the closet; a part of the conversation goes:

Student: I don't see why people have such a problem with it...
    Teacher: Well, people tend to dislike others because they're different (he said something about human nature; it is easier to be bad than good)
    Guy sitting next to me during all this: I think that's awesome. (That the CEO is gay)

I have heard with my own ears only one pro-gay (gay-inclusive) thing before. I made a thread about it a while ago. This definitely opened me up to the idea of coming out and not having to worry as much about how the people at school would treat me.

I also noticed a tiny, tiny little stamp on a classroom door that said "Safe Zone" with a rainbow flag. I have the teacher who owns it. So 2/4 of my teachers I now know are gay friendly.

I just wanted to share; this was an important thing to me.

2. Chriswe

Wow, that's great! I wish my school would talk about LGBTQ+ stuff, but they don't. Ever.

3. sharkpool

That's so cool!

4. Mickz

That's awesome :slight_smile: In my school Gay males are thoroughly accepted even by the guys so maybe It will be the same at your school :slight_smile: Sadly my school still has a homophobic thing about girls being gay :frowning2:

5. BeyondNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Interesting, i'm surprised it was discussed, it would have been a huge blow to your confidence and self worth, had the conversation gone a completely other way.

Teachers in my school had to remain on the sidelines with no opinion, making a change to the subject quickly.

It could hurt people a lot more if this is discussed and things turn sour, however the confidence gain is great for you.

Just remember, people don't announce they are straight with a banner, or shouting it to everyone.

Personally, i won't be coming out, i'm sure people know naturally, although straight acting, i'm a little clumsy and leave things like my phone lying around.

When people truly 100% know i'm gay, it will be the moment they see it in front of their eyes, not words.

Good luck!

6. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Being gay in school can be good or bad depending on your environment. I live I'm a liberal town in the Northeast, my principal is a lesbian, and most of my friends are VERY liberal, and therefore saw no big deal of me coming out as gay. If your area is very conservative, then maybe don't come out, unless you feel strong enough to handle a wave of rejection. Follow your heart, and do whatever feels right in that moment.

7. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand BeyondNormal's concerns, but I think, as you've mentioned, that several of your classes should be safe for you. Those teachers should be great resources, especially if you do face any sort of backlash / harassment if / when you decide to come out.

Coming out is always a very personal decision. And you don't have to yell it from the roof tops (although you may decide to :wink: ), you can always tell those that are closest with you or that you expect will provide the best reactions. It is school and it will likely get around eventually to other students, but I truly think in 2014 you'll be fine.

I did not come out until I was 22, and I wish I had the guts to have come out earlier. But I have dated several guys that came out in high school, and had no, or only minor issues with it. The world we live in is not the same world we lived in 20 years ago.

If you do decide to come out, I hope it goes great, and please keep us posted!!!

8. Burnedcloset

That's so great! I think the whole stamp with :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: on it is a cool way to let kids know there accepted.

9. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's interesting. Many schools and colleges (including mine) are very scared to talk about homosexuality, yet have no problem giving lessons because the negative implications of racism, sexism and other issues. I agree with others that this topic could have gone south however your teacher had a good grip on the conversation by what you've said and made it very evident that they're supportive of LGBT people.

Overall, though, the neglect of these issues raises quite a bold statement of the taboo nature of the topic, even in this day and age.

10. ChameleonSoul

Weird, it's the exact opposite in my school. It's completely acceptable for two females to be together where I live but not two males. Then again, it might just be the whole "girl on girl is hot" thing talking.

11. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I think a lot of straight guys think two girls together is hot, and aren't as strict in their judgement with that :-/