1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wonder what it is that makes me nervous...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Quiet Raven, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Quiet Raven

Well... As you can see under my name. I am not out at all. Still completely in my closet. But why? Well I don't expect any of you to be able to tell me that. But I am wondering if someone can relate a little...

Both of my brothers are clearly not against LGBT in any way. In fact one of my brothers is friends with 2 gay couples. However... I don't know anyone personally who is trans. But still. I don't see a reason at all they would be against it. I can just imagine what they would say. I could be like... "I'm trans." They would be like..."OK." I can imagine that exact reaction from both of them, lol. That is why I love them. They are so open minded.

So why would I not want to tell them? Why would I be nervous to tell them, when I already know their exact reaction? Well... I think it is because I feel uneasy about suddenly switching like that. That is, they thought of me as male for 22 years. Now I want to change that. Kinda sudden. And shocking. Even though they will accept it.

I do really like the way one of my brother's friends came out to me though. He works at an office with programs for helping people with various barriers trying to find work. And someone came in and had a discussion with him about how they should have something for LGBT. And in the discussion he said he was gay. I kinda knew him for a little while at this point. And he just casually brings it up. "I never had a reason to say it until now. Why should I say it without a reason? Why shouldn't I be able to just bring up casually in a conversation?" And that is cool. He has no anxiety or fear telling people that at all.

These are the kinds of people in my circle. So really I shouldn't have an issue telling people about me, but I do.

There is no way I'd tell my parents though. They'd be uncomfortable with this for sure.

#1 Quiet Raven, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. Quiet Raven

Well... I might still tell my parrents someday...
    But it is going to be very awkward and I have no clue how they will react.

3. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello Quiet Raven, its OK to be nervous we all are it is OK . All I can tell you is that you will come out when you are ready to and there is no reason to rush things there is a reason you are not able to yet what that reason is only you know .I have a feeling that when you do decide to come out you will do great :slight_smile: Please try and relax and take a deep breath it we are here for you feel free to message me I will be glad to talk anytime you need too :slight_smile:

4. Quiet Raven

Thanks

Actually, you know what? I think I am starting to get the courage to at least tell one of my brothers.
    Though surely after I tell him I can tell tell the other one soon after. Not sure if it will be today... But it might be...

5. Quiet Raven

Well I sent my brother a message talking about it. Still waiting for a reply...

Actually it was a while ago... I expected I would have one by now... Maybe he actually doesn't know what to say...
    Or maybe he just didn't see it yet. That is still possible.

I'm so anxious, lol.

6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I just wanted to wish you good luck, if you need it. (*hug*) I hope it goes well!

7. MissMiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  8. Quiet Raven

Well he responded! And as I expected he is totally cool about it.
    "No reason you should be awkward about this, it is something that should be perfectly normal".

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    your brother is amazing lol

congrats mate (*hug*)

10. Quiet Raven

Yup! Thanks.
    Now just trying to decide how I should go about telling my other brother. But I think I will soon.

11. Quiet Raven

Funny thing is though... Just after telling him. I started to have doubts, lol. I still don't know what I am! Lol. Maybe I'm genderfluid? I dunno, so many labels.

Point is, I don't know for sure if I want to be full on female anymore, but I don't want to be afraid to be more "feminine". And the first step I think I want to take... Is dyeing my hair purple. I was always afraid to do that before because I afraid to be too "feminine" in public. But not anymore.

12. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OMG I am so happy for you it is so great that you were able to start to come out! I knew you could do it :slight_smile: It is great that he is so supportive to you , and do me a huge favor please don't worry about putting a label on your self right now you have the rest of your life to put a label on yourself so why worry now . You are so brave !!!!

13. Quiet Raven

It is thanks to you guys. :slight_smile:

14. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Isn't it great that people can find support from empathetic people who can relate to being different.

Be who you are, forget the labels. Advice I am trying to follow myself.

There is no "normal" to human existence. Everyone is unique. Expressing that uniqueness ought to be celebrated.

15. prussianblue100

I once knew a guy in middle school who dyed his hair pink. I don't think anyone would make fun of you. And even if someone does, they are the lesser ones for making fun of hair color of all things.

Anyway, congrats on coming out to your brother. :eusa_clap

16. Quiet Raven

Yeah. I am just looking for a job now. I spoke to a few people and they said I'd be best off waiting until I get a job first. They can't fire me just for hair color, but they may judge me negatively in an interview.

I only spoke to them about the hair thing, my brother is still the only one I completely came out too...

---------- Post added 11th Nov 2014 at 02:44 PM ----------

Yup! It is great! :slight_smile:

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! ^.^