1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I no better than them?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xxAngelOnFirexx, May 7, 2007.

1. xxAngelOnFirexx

I would instantly stop talking to anyone, whether it be family or friend, if i found out that they were against gays, or gay marriage. How am I any better than those who shun out anyone as soon as they find out that they are gay? :confused2:

2. Well it's kind of understandable, I mean isn't that why straight people shut out those who are gay? They find it bad, offensive or whatever to straight people in general. So since you are gay its understandable because its offensive to gay people as a whole.

3. KevinM

Well, I see it more like being intolerant of intolerance. You aren't shunning them because of some inborn characteristic but because they are against a group of people. I would say that it is different.

4. Micah

But how are you supposed to change their views if you don't talk to them? :icon_wink

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I agree with Dave. We really have to talk to these people and let them know how these laws hurt our families and us!

6. Steam Giant

Happy birthday!!! ^^ (because I know I'll forget on the day of ; ; )

I've heard that for some people, it's easy for them to hate gays when they don't actually know anyone who's gay. These people are more likely to come around when they get to know you. I know I don't like dealing with bigoted people, but like Dave said, if nobody talks to them about it, they'll just go on being intolerant. Of course, you may not be able to change their mind, but you know what they say ^^ nothing ventured, nothing gained.

7. Jim1454

I certainly don't see it as being the same thing either. You're showing a dislike for people who are close minded and intollerant. I suppose depending on how extreme their position, it could be a matter of them just getting to know some gay people to realize that there's nothing fundamentally different or anything worth being fearful of.

8. Treval

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The way I see it, you aren't as bad as them, but at the same time you aren't helping yourself by proving yourself to be intolerant. And, as was said before, you aren't changing their views to be more tolerant either. But over all? No your not as bad as them.

9. xxAngelOnFirexx

Thanks you really helped me make sense of the situation.