1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being pushed away from coming out..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wolfiee, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Wolfiee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a friend who I basically share all my personal things with. We're good mates and I get along with her quite well. I know she's not necessarily for same-sex relationships or any sexuality other than straight (probably genders too), but when my guy friend and one of her other guy friends (one bisexual, one gay) came out she was quite respectful, in front of them at least.

A few weeks after they both came out, she told me in private that she's still not okay with the whole homosexuality thing and she wishes they weren't like that forever... her grasp on how sexuality works isn't exactly accurate. It was kind of disappointing to hear from her, but I didn't argue with her about it because I know she still supported my friend, despite her opinion.

Then today I talked about how I thought some guy was bisexual and here initial reaction was to go "ew, that's disgusting." This was really hurtful to hear, and I've honestly given up on wanting to tell her about my sexuality. I'm just scared once I start coming out to my other friends and I eventually tell her she's going to be like "why didn't you tell me?" and I'm going to have to tell her how I find her views on sexuality really disheartening and until she's a 'yes' ally for LGBT rights, I'll make sure I do come to her about sexuality, crushes and relationships, but until then, I'll anxiously go to bed at night wondering if she thinks any different of me.

I like her as a friend, but I'm kind of getting fed up with her shit.

2. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am sorry that she is being that way. If you are tired of the way she acts maybe it is time to cut her loose and move on . That way you can get a friend that is supportive to you
    because you need that more I think :slight_smile: but that is just my opinion lol but any way you will come out when you are ready to and who cares how long it takes .I wish you all the best of luck

3. tyuiop97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry to hear such a close friend is doing that. I've definitely had some friends say some really ignorant stuff even though they say they're pro LGBT rights. Maybe not as bad as "ew", but still hurtful nonetheless. The first person I ever came out to asked me the other day if I was proud to be gay and when I said yes, asked me why because he didn't go around saying he was proud to be straight. I'd say I gave him a pretty good counterargument haha.

I suggest that you go along with your coming out journey how you want to. For your friend, you can either cut her off now, or maybe base your decision off of after she finds out about your sexuality. Sometimes, people can surprise you. One friend who I know to be conservative and homophobic has been great to me and even apologized after I came out. Do you have someone you can confide in first? It can be helpful to have some support first. Then, you can decide if you want to tell your friend one on one or through coming out to everybody. Good luck :slight_smile: