1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to people in real life

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Enaithor, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Enaithor

I live in basically the capital of homophobia.
    I feel bad that my friends don't know.
    They wouldn't have a problem with me being bisexual.
    But they wouldn't understand the point of staying in the closet.
    I didn't until I realised I was in one.
    It's like, there are cushions, but only a little bit of oxygen...
    I don't really know what to do...

2. biisme

So, are you concerned that if you came out to your friends that they would pressure you to be out to everyone?

3. Enaithor

They wouldn't pressure me. I don't think. But they wouldn't understand though. And it would be awkward because they are all girls except one and whenever they were to talk about hot guys it would be really awkward especially if not all of them knew. Because then they'd randomly be thinking "why IS he in the closet still!?"

4. No One

well i can tell you not all straight people think that alot understand why you dont want to come out in know mine did i mean yes you may have to explain it to them but if they are good friends they will listen and understand

5. Enaithor

Yeah they will listen but I mean I don't really know. It is really odd because they always thought I was gay then about a month or two after I managed to convince them I was straight I realise I was bisexual. It is too ironic and yeah. I don't really know why I don't want to tell them even though I feel guilty about not telling them,...
    My sentences are becoming incoherent. You know what I mean, right?

6. No One

i know exactly what you mean your confused and thats what i was in 5th through 8th grade there are so many thoughts racing through your head so many questions and when you feel like you finally have the answer somthing changed in your mind or you feel differently about something i know exactly how you feel i went through this all too. there was a while there when i just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry but that doesnt help. one thing i will tell you never to do is to tell someone you are and then tell them you arnt because they didnt take it how you wanted them to because that will just confuse you about who you are. you are going through a tough time that every LGBT person goes through and i really wish i could tell you that there is an easy way out but there isn't the only thing that you can do is try to figure out who you are and then be that person dont try to be someone else and always remember who ever that person is EC is always here to support you.

7. Enaithor

Ahh the difference is that I KNOW that I'm bisexual. That isn't the hard bit. It's just I really can't decide whether I should tell people, who I should tell, how I should tell them, etc..
    That is the confusing part.

8. No One

i had that problem to here let me ask have you told anyone yet

9. No One

besides people online?

10. Enaithor

11. No One

ok well the first is always the hardest this is what i will say think about it, dont just pick a friend at random and tell them ask your self is this person open minded do they ever say bad things about LGBT people?, would they tell anyone? are the trust worthy? and then when you figure out who you want to tell figure out what the best for you is like for my when i told someone for the first time i wrote it to them in a note but there are lots of ways to tell them, just say it to their face, write them an email, text them, what ever way makes you feel most comfortable then find the right time so time when they can listen when they arnt frustrated when they have the time and if you take the time to think and answer all these questions you will know what to do.

12. No One

ok well the first is always the hardest this is what i will say think about it, dont just pick a friend at random and tell them ask your self is this person open minded do they ever say bad things about LGBT people?, would they tell anyone? are the trust worthy? and then when you figure out who you want to tell figure out what the best way for you to tell them like when i told someone for the first time i wrote it to them in a note but there are lots of ways to tell them, just say it to their face, write them an email, text them, what ever way makes you feel most comfortable then find the right time so time when they can listen when they arnt frustrated when they have the time and if you take the time to think and answer all these questions you will know what to do.

13. Enaithor

Yeah I think I know who the first would be.
    I think I will msn her.
    Or text her. I don't know though.
    She'll be really happy. But indifference would be better...but then I could just get her to act indifferent you know like in front of people. I guess that's ok. Right. I think I know what I'm going to say roughly. I'll probably tell her within the next week.
    *fingers crossed*

Well it'll be ok. I know her very well. But still *fingers crossed* for some reason lol

14. Enaithor

Actually I have no idea how I'm going to say it.
    It has just occurred to me that saying, "I'm bi" would be the most awkward thing EVER.
    :s

15. No One

actually by experience i have learned that saying something like that really helps here let me show you.

Me: hey i really need to talk to you

friend:astonished:k spill

Me:well there has been something on my mind and i think i want to tell you.

friend:umm ok what is it

Me:astonished:k im gay.....

im pretty sure that your convo wont be exactly that but i do know that words can sometimes mess it up or even make it worse when simply telling the truth can do wonders.

16. Enaithor

so basically i should just say that im bi straight out instead of trying to do some weird hinting thing to somehow get her to work it out or whatever

17. No One

well i have done both and even hinting sounds like a good idea eventually you have to actually say to them im bi so why wast all the time and make yourself so nervous when you can just simply say it. yes i think it is much better just to tell her. any other questions?

18. Enaithor

I'm going to tell her tonight.
    I'm really scared though. Even though I know it'll be ok. How do I get less scared :s

19. Enaithor

As soon as I saw her come online,
    Well I'm chickening out :/

20. Noah

Weird hinting things don't work for me.
    People are just dense sometimes. I would just say it straight out.
    And only do it when you feel ready.