1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out at school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChameleonSoul, Nov 13, 2014.

1. ChameleonSoul

Recently, the feeling of being closeted has gotten to me. I am out to some people, but everyone I haven't come out to yet still thinks that I'm straight. While I'm not going to hide it if the conversation of relationships comes up, this process of coming out has been much slower than I expected. I'm not afraid at this point who knows outside of my family and can handle any homophobic remarks from people in my school. However, if anyone in my family ever found out, my entire home life would be made even worse than it already is. I'm also trying to think of a subtle way to come out as I really don't want to make this such a big deal. It's just that living a lie is getting to me and I think that my emotional well-being and academic performance would improve if I come out. It might also make finding other gay people and even getting a boyfriend easier, both of which I've wanted for a while now. Should I try to come out at school and risk having my family finding out? How would I still stay in the closet at home for the next nine months in this case?

2. Yuriseme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm having the same problems. I want to come out at school to so I can be less stressed academically and find a girlfriend easier to. I just don't know how I'd deal with it in my household or at school. I do want to come out though.

3. David21201

ok... same boat-ish
    i came out to a few friends and told another person i was already going to tell. So its slowly getting around the school... which my sister also attends...
    does any of your family go to the same school? if you get bullied you may have to tell your parents why if a teacher notices. just keep those in mind

4. tyuiop97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was lucky by the fact that my parents are from a different country and don't have Facebooks or get involved with other parents so I just posted a short, funny status letting everybody know on October 11th. If you want more people to know, have you considered joining the GSA? It certainly helps with meeting other LGBT people and if they are visible in the school, more people can know that you're in it.

5. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not sure how you can keep it a secret . Unless you only tell the ones that you can trust not to tell there parents or yours. I wish you all the best of luck and remember that I know that it is hard for you right now but it will get better just be patient and let things go there natural coarse and you will come out when you are ready to so relax and take a deep breath and think positive thoughts . :slight_smile:
    I am here if you ever want to talk I would be honored to talk anytime I am on here A LOT I think I am addicted to EC you might see me on the corner going psst he buddy you got an ec forum I need some rofl

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What makes you think that your parents will react badly if they find out?

7. ProFriend

ProFriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As pressing as it might feel now, it sounds like your home situation could become more than uncomfortable if you came out. Given that you're a senior, and any relationship you might start would last only nine months at best before you both head off in different directions, I'd advise waiting until at least your freshman year of college. If your family will react as badly as you imply, the downside risks outweigh the benefits.

Some other things to think about - health and car insurance, college funds, daily living support, loss of family contact, etc.

If you decide the need to come out outweighs all the risks, go for it - BUT - be sure you have a backup plan in place. Things like exclusive access to your bank account (a potential problem if your parents also have access to it), a place to stay immediately, a copy of your birth certificate, your actual social security card and passport, and any other key personal documents. Most important - be sure you are emotionally prepared for the loss of whatever family contact and support you have now and in the foreseeable future.