1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanksgivings coming up and I want to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PokePlayer, Nov 14, 2014.

1. PokePlayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So Thanksgiving is like two weeks away and i am really tired of being in the closet. I've struggled so much with accepting myself because of the faith i was raised in. Recently however i've decided that if there is a God he made me gay and if God loves all his children then i'm loved just as much as the straight guy down the street. So anyways what do you guys think? I'll be back home the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and wont come back to school till the Sunday after. I really want to come out to my immediate family, i.e. mom, dad and brother, when should i do it?, how? im really terrified about all of this. i dont know how they are going to respond but i hope its with open arms. Thanks for the help guys! <3

2. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel your pain ,trust me I do . All I can tell you is that when the time is right you will do it it may be when you are home for the holidays or maybe not I don't know but you will know when you are ready . So take a big old deep breath and relax for a min or two .I hope that it all works out for you and they grab you up and hug the stuffing out of you lol. I wish you all best of luck and please let us know what happens .

3. PokePlayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly I do feel like its time! I'm tired of lying to the people I care about the most. I am scared but ill be scared in the future too so why not just get it done as soon as possible! I will definitely come back and tell EC the news! Thanks for the support!

4. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi PokePlayer

Whilst I think it’s great that you now feel it’s time to be open and honest with your family I would normally caution about doing it on such a significant day, holiday period, or other family get together based on a specific date unless you’re 99% confident you won’t get a bad reaction.

If the coming out doesn’t go well then it will make future date related family get-togethers awkward and may take you longer to win your family support. I would try and pick another day that in future you can claim as your own for family celebrations rather than sharing an existing date of some other function.

This website has advice on coming out at the following link

Empty Closets - Coming Out and Staying Out

SGG

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi PokePlayer

I have to agree with SaleGayGuy about not coming out on, or close to a significant day. It really isn't a good idea. It's much better to pick a fairly insignificant date when you can't be accused of spoiling the celebration. You don't have to put it off for long, just make sure the party is over.

You have come a long way in accepting yourself, I just hope your family are accepting too. Remember, we are all here for you, so let us know how it goes.

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If there is all-powerful God, then he made you just as you are. If there isn't, then it doesn't matter. So, either way, you are OK just as you are.

If YOU feel like you want to come out when your family is gathered together, then Thanksgiving is the right time for you. It shouldn't spoil anything unless they are already spoiled, in which case there is no good time or season, but they will probably be ok with it, because they probably already have an idea about your sexuality if they have been around you long enough for you to be in college.

7. Perseus

Remember to be true to yourself and just respect yourself... do it when you feel like you're prepared and when you feel like you are ready. This might also link the whether you are actually prepared to do anything if it doesn't go well. :slight_smile: It's really good that you've accepted yourself though!

8. PokePlayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey everyone! Thanks for all the replies and support! I wasn't going to do it on Thanksgiving probably the saturday after. Is that still to close to Thanksgiving? Also I'm afraid I'm going to wimp out and not say anything.... I really do want to! You all know how scary it can be ... Any advice?