1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone ever been assaulted after coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Driftr, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Driftr

Hi.

I really don't want to think negatively about this happening to me, but my parents are African and conservative. There is just no room for being gay at all in that culture. My mom, especially has made herself really clear about her opinions of LGBT, saying that they're going to hell. She even changed the channel in a fit of rage when, on CNN, they were talking about the supreme court allowing gay marriage. Plus, African parents tend to physically punish their children by default, even in cases which involves getting in trouble in school or something much less of a big deal than being gay in their eyes. Imagine if they hear I'm gay.

Well, I was wondering if there are any stories of anyone coming out only to be assaulted by your family member. I just want to be on the safe side, so maybe hearing your story will assure me that I shouldn't expect a surprise positive reaction, even though it's what I want.

2. Mickz

Well, I'm curious as to which African culture this is? :/ I'm really sorry you're worried about this. I know my family gave me corporal physical punishment like spankings when i was young but from your point it sounds more like a beating... However, I've only heard of disowning in families, never assault, but hopefully neither happen to you, maybe your parents will find their love for you stronger than their hatred over LGBT?

3. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you honestly think you're at a big risk of getting physically hurt, that it's best not to come out to them. Based on what you've described, it doesn't sound like it'll go very well, so I wouldn't recommend it.

4. Alive

Have your parents ever physically punished you? If they have, especially over minor things, I would say it would be safer to stay in the closet for now. Wait until you are in college or not dependent on them when you tell them.