1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out at christmas??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by annabeth chase, Nov 16, 2014.

1. annabeth chase

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    hey so basically i'm completely closeted right now and i thought it might be a good idea to come out to my immediate family and best friend this christmas or new year- it would be great to start 2015 with a fresh beginning. But i heard somewhere coming out at christmas is a big no as it could end badly and ruin christmas.

what do you guys think? is it more important to come out when it feels right for me or would that have bad results? have any of you come out on a holiday?

advice needed :help:

2. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that is important to come out when ur ready. If you feel like your family wont care, and ur ready to at christmas, then go for it. I wouldnt come out to my family, as i dont particularly like christmas already, and if they had a bad reaction, you could have a bad association with christmas for the rest of your life. But, its up to you. If you feel like its right at christmas, then do it on christmas. if it feels wrong, then dont do it. Only you will be able to decide when feels right, and when feels wrong.
    By the way, I like your user name! My favorite character is Nico though.

3. Rainbows~Exist

I came out on new years day and everything went perfectly fine :slight_smile: If you're ready to come out then do so when you feel the time is right.

P.S.(I love Annabeth by the way)

4. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Eeeeh coming out on a christian holiday? Sure, what could go wrong...

I vote for New Year's

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In all honesty, it's probably not a good idea to tell people at busy festive times when they come together to connect and celebrate. Introducing a potentially difficult subject on days of celebration may cause conflict and anger. Your coming out may be regarded as an unwelcome Christmas/New Year present.

Personally I would pick a more neutral time, but if you really do want to come our during the holidays, leave it until the period inbetween Christmas and New Years Eve. Don't announce it on the 'big day/s'.

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well i figure that you will know whats best and when is best for you and i love the idea of a re-birth of sorts on Christmas, i think i'd wait for a neutral day, as has been suggested that way your impression of that special day isnt clouded by any negative reactions.(*hug*)

7. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this. Unless, you're sure they'd be completely supportive and happy for you and they won't need time to process the information and adjust (which is unlikely, as almost everyone does), you should avoid coming out on a holiday.

8. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I say do it when you are ready to there is no need to rush it . You have the rest of your life to come out . I would have to agree that it might be a bad idea to come out during a holiday. What if it goes wrong you might hate that holiday for the rest of your life and that would be a bad thing but you go with your feelings I was just giving you my opinion ! Good luck and have a great week!

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets!

The first question I would have for you is, what are your instincts telling you about coming out to your parents in about a month's time? What is your take on how your parents could potentially react?

I do agree that coming out during a generally busy holiday season, might not be the best idea. You do want to have a moment with your parents/family where everybody has one or two moments to sit down and just listen without a million other thoughts going through their minds.

If you feel that you need to come out sooner rather than later, I'd suggest that you come out before the last of the rush for the Christmas preparations start. A couple of weeks before Christmas or so.

I came out to my parents one and a half weeks before Christmas on a Sunday morning and it went well. I made sure to pick a time where I knew my parents would not be busy or preoccupied with anything.

Now, if you wanted to you could try coming out to one or two friends before coming out to your parents. How would you feel about that?

10. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out on a Thanksgiving, and it didn't work out too well for me. I hadn't planned on coming out at that time however. If I would've chosen a date I don't think it would've been a holiday, simply because I knew beforehand that my parents wouldn't have been accepting, and there was no reason to bring everyone else down if things were to blow up (which in my case they did) My parents are religious fundamentalists however.

11. annabeth chase

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm leaning against it after reading some of these responses, but i think you're right- i'll see if it feels right on the day. We usual have quiet, lazy christmases so maybe i will if the situation seems good. If not, i won't go for it cause i don't feel like ruining the day.
    thanks for the help, and i love nico too!:icon_wink

---------- Post added 17th Nov 2014 at 05:48 PM ----------

my parents are catholic, but fairly liberal and gay-friendly from what i can tell. I'd like to come out this year to at least one person, and i think the idea of telling a friend is a good one. I'll probably do that in early december, and wait till mid january for my immediate family. thanks for the advice, its really helped :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 17th Nov 2014 at 05:52 PM ----------

thanks to all you guys for your help! it'll be a lot easier to come out knowing there are such nice and helpful people behind me (&&&)

12. annabeth chase

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    update: I did it (!)

i'd been trying to for a few weeks now to get it over with before the holidays but i couldn't get my parents alone.

my birthday's on sunday so today i was like, fuck it i am not being fully closeted then. so i just walked downstairs dragged my parents from the room by their hands and took them to a room away from my siblings.

i told them and they were nice about it and i may have cried but it's cool and i'm feeling good
    ^^
    thanks to all you guys for your help again, it means so much (&&&)

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the update. I'm really pleased to hear about this.

Hey, maybe you can update your profile out status now! :slight_smile:

14. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out, and I'm glad that it went so well. You'll probably be able to relax a lot more over the holidays. :slight_smile: