1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Black Swan, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Black Swan

So I want to come out to my best friend.

To be honest, I feel like I owe it to her to tell her the truth. We are really close, but we aren't the sort to ever talk about relationships or boyfriends. She basically does not care about romance at this stage in her life. For this reason, for me to bring this up could be a bit awkward or confronting.

She has been a little bit homophobic in the past, she uses "gay" to mean something bad and calls annoying people "fags" but I think this is more her sibling's influence rubbing off on her. Whenever I have pulled her up on this she denies being homophobic. Which is good I guess...

There are a thousand and one friends I could tell who I know for sure would take it well. It's just that I want to tell her first, she has been my closest friend to date and I owe her that much. She's the one person I am unsure about, do you think I should come out to her? Or perhaps some of my other friends that I know will support me?

Thanks in advance x

2. Alexandra Lily

It would probably be best to come out to your best friend first, as you could end up telling someone else, who could then think your best friend would already know, and obviously your best friend doesn't want to find out accidentally. I came out to my best friends and they are incredibly supportive, which is why they are my best friends. I'm sure it'll turn out great if you tell her. Best friends are like that.