1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i dont want to come out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mettalicbubbles, Nov 18, 2014.

1. mettalicbubbles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    the reason why i am highly reluctant to come out to my parents of family is because they have pretty strong anti gay views and tbh i feel like coming to anti gay parents is like a death sentence, what do i do?

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're still quite young. My advice to you is probably to wait until you're a bit older, then you might feel ready to tell them. My family held some homophobic views too. I did come out to them, but I waited until I was older and more secure in myself. I had a great network of friends around to support me, too. In the end, even though it was horrible telling them at the time, it actually wasn't as bad as I thought. They said they wouldn't support my "choices" but they still loved me.

Nobody here is going to suggest you come out to your parents before you're ready. I think it's very different for everyone.

The others might have some good tips for what to say to homophobic families. Quite a lot of us here have been in the exact same situation as you! :slight_smile: You're not alone!

3. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    You're only fifteen; you have to live with them for three more years, so right now is probably not the best call right now. You also feel unsafe, and you shouldn't do anything before your ready.

I would try to surround yourself with supportive friends, maybe get involved in GSA-your parents don't have to know.

4. mettalicbubbles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thx spartan and positively me it really helps