1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my parents about forum?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lostboy94, Nov 19, 2014.

1. lostboy94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do I am going to come out to my parents over email a few days before thanksgiving break in irder to give them time to think about it before we discuss over break. (I am going to post the letter here before hand not done with it yet) But I want an opinion on this first. This forum gives great advice should I tell my parents about it so they can get advice if need be? I won't tell them my username obviously but thoughts?

#1 lostboy94, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    EC is a great forum for those that are out, coming out, need advice, parents, kids, etc.

If you tell them as part of your overall discussion with them, that can make a lot of sense and help provide them with insight to the extent they need a place to turn.

However, as a parent, I think I would be more receptive to the idea of going to the site if I were the one to initiated the need for the site, as compared to being told to simply go check the site out.

Thats not to say I would not ultimately come to it (ok, this is all hypothetical, I know) if I was told about it without asking. I just think if they believe outside guidance would be beneficial and its there own idea to explore alternatives that can provide assistance, they might otherwise be more receptive to coming and seeing everything that EC can offer to them.

So, my suggestion would be to let them ask questions, and throw in the site as a possible answer to the questions they may have; as I am sure there will be ample discussion between you and them to permit such a suggestion.

Does that make sense?

3. Really

You might want to think about some of the topics that are discussed and whether you think your parents can handle it. You know, reverse Parental Guidance Suggested.
    Depending on their open-mindedness, they might conclude all these issues apply to you by default.

4. waterfall

waterfall Guest

Perfect advice, as always, from Really! I totally agree!

5. lostboy94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so glad I asked this! Yea a lot of stuff on here would freak them out. Not a good idea.

6. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe it's only the people that know your patents who can advise you because you need to know how they are going to react.