1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out in Special Education

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by biroautistic, Nov 19, 2014.

1. biroautistic

This is my first thread.

I am a "high-functioning" autistic. In the DSM-IV, I would be classified as having Asperger's Syndrome. In the DSM-5, it is, rather simply, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).

Though I am considered to be "high-functioning" (I really despise that label) and have an IQ of 145, I am in some Special Education classes to help with my executive functioning. I have Comp(ensatory) Skills, study hall with a Sp Ed teacher, and Adapted PE. My issue is with the Adapted PE teachers.

The women that work with us (those of us labeled biologically female) are, mostly, heavy-duty Christians. They, two in particular, have hinted, as much as a Special Education teacher can allow, that they are against any sort of deviation from societal norms, aka my orientation and gender.

I would like to tell the man who runs it all that I am transgender, because they keep calling me by the wrong name. They also call me "Miss" and "girl", and completely disregard the fact that I wear typically male clothes.

I really want to tell him AND the Christian women about my gender, but I am afraid of how to do so...and i want to do it ASAP. I cannot live with this any longer.

Thank you for all of your help.

2. rainbowdesi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can empathize with your situation, mine was just the opposite. In spite of wearing women's clothes I used to get refer to as "sir" or "mr". It slowly started to bother me.
    (In my case,I just started growing my hair longer and dressing a little differently.)

People will definitely react when you tell them. I don't think that they should treat you differently because your orientation or gender. But that's just me being idealistic.

If you don't put much thought into what they are going to say or how they'll act ,then just be you.. Go for it.

3. biroautistic

Well, thank you for your reply, in any case.

Hahaha, it seems like we're...what, flipped? Inside-out? I had Art Club today, and, after talking to my friend (who is a gay male), he told me that he was "a man on the outside, but like a..." and then stopped. I immediately picked this up, stating, "I'm just the opposite! All this "she" and "Miss", when I'm really more like a guy on the inside."

I've met my polar opposites, but I cannot be happier that I have.

Thank you so much :slight_smile: I suppose I was worrying too much; nightmares and anxiety and all. I am actually getting my hair cut short again next week! I'm so excited. Though my mother said it had to be a "women's" haircut (what the Heck is that, anyway?), I loopholed it and went with a boyish, yet sometimes feminine, look.