1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at work (jail)?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by titaniumCloset, Nov 21, 2014.

1. titaniumCloset

Hi All, it's me again. I have now been out for a few years thanks to EC! I have a boyfriend of 3 years and am overall pretty happy. I landed a dream job of a Deputy Sheriff at a jail and am enjoying it for the most part. However, since starting working there I re-closeted myself while at work. While in the Academy I never was 'out' and I continued this once I got to the jail. If people ask me if I have a girlfriend, I just say no and if someone asks if I'm single I say yes. The "macho" attitude is high here as you would expect - we deal with murderers, rapists and gangsters and instill order with out of control people. With that comes jokes and laughing at each other (in good fun), but gay jokes or calling someone a "fag" as a joke is commonplace as well. Not sure how to come out at work, at least among close friends who I may hang out with outside of work. I don't need to put up a banner at work saying "I AM GAY" but I would also like to feel comfortable enough where if someone asks if I'm dating someone I can say "Yes." Any thoughts? (&&&)

2. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i know what you mean. i have a friend who works in a jail, and he has started to use anti gay slurs much more since he started work there... i dont really like it! i know my friend had to be at the jail for a year until he can not be fired just because "it was not working out". i dont know if your job is the same way or not, but my advice to you is, if you want to come out at work (and it really seems like you want to), try and hold off until that point. that way just because if they are homophobic they cant find a reason to fire you because they dont like it.

what im saying is just make sure its safe to do so and will not effect your job, and start with telling people who are more open minded. i hope this helps.