1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

after high school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crimsonarcher, Oct 8, 2008.

1. crimsonarcher

I have a choice- go to college here in the US or go to Mexico and go to college there.
    There's pros and cons to each- In Mexico, the tuition might be cheaper, according to my dad, but I'm afraid of me living in a possible conservatively-viewed environment. On the other hand, US colleges are not too costly, such as Sac State, and the education might be awesome and the environment would be slightly more accepting. Of course, I'd have difficulty paying off tuition and whatnot by myself. If you were in my position, where would you go?

2. jbb1236

I'd take any opportunity to immerse yourself in another culture, however conservative or liberal they are, and to my knowledge(and i could be completely wrong), America is the worst about accepting gays.

3. Noah

Sadly, you are quite wrong.
    We're up there though....

4. Soulless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *Before continuing to read please be informed that I am Mexican and lived there for 18 years and I would like to apologize in advance to my fellow Mexicans for what I'm about to say*

Stay away from that FREAKING hellhole! Universities might be cheaper but you are better off studying in USA or Canada, they have the better post-secondary system IMO, and if you decide to go back to the US after graduating you'll have a hard time finding a job. Now it's not only the homophobia which is very common amongst most Mexicans, but also the crime it was bad when I left a year ago and it has gotten even worse.

If you want to move I would recommend going to a college in somewhere in the US like San Francisco, Massachusetts, Seattle or some other large city with a big gay population. Or if you want to move out of the US go North instead of south, move to Canada! Not only is it a great country to live if you are gay, but you get to see a little bit from every culture and in case you decide to return to the US they both have pretty much the same post secondary system so it's easier to transfer or get a job with a degree from a Canadian university.

Whatever you decide I recommend you start in a good but not too expensive college, get good grades and then apply for a scholarship in a bigger university.

The only good thing I can think about Mexico is that gas would be cheaper. :eusa_doh:

5. Mickey

And...in the U.S. & Canada,you can usually drink the water! LOL!

6. epiphanies

If you're planning on working in the US, you'd be better off studying in the US. There are way more schools to choose from, and employers would prefer you not go to Mexico for school. If you had a specialty, you would probably have to get re certified under US terms and conditions.

Try doing some research on schools in your area, and you may find some friendlier schools. Also, colleges tend to be more liberal and accepting than high school, unless you go to a college affiliated with a church.

7. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say that staying in the U.S. is your best bet. Mexico has it's very nice parts (which might be where all the universities are -- I don't know) but it all seems like a bad country to live in financially. And as someone stated above me, if you're wanting to get a good paying job in the U.S. after college, it's best to stay here. But it's your choice after all and it might be a new cultural experience for you but other than that I don't see many benefits.

8. Gumtree

Come to Australia :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sydney might be the most expensive city in the world to live in ATM but it's very accepting of gay's and Aus is one of the leading countries in educations.

In other words; I would stick with the US.

9. sdc91

STAY IN THE US!!!!!!!!
    I can't stress that enough.

You're going to have a much harder time getting a job here with a Mexican degree. A US degree can take you anywhere in the world.

Just apply for financial aid. A lot of schools give grants instead of student loans now.

10. Jim1454

Becky has already mentioned this somewhere else before. There are scholarships available specifically for LGBT students...

I have to agree with most of what others have already said. Often US and Canadian employers won't look as favourably on a degree from somewhere other than one of the 'western industrial nations'.

Plus, I've also heard that Mexico is VERY intollerant towards gays. It's not an environment that I'd like to spend time in - never mind live in for several years. Not if you have a choice.