1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help coming out to family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by omega3250, Nov 22, 2014.

1. omega3250

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi guys. Im a 14 year gay kid, and I've completely come to terms with it. I literally have no problems being gay whatsoever. Thing is, I need to tell my parents and maybe my sister sooner or later or I have a feeling that I'm really going to regret it later. They all claim to be open to this stuff, but people tend to say that to make themselves look better. My dad's side of the family is VERY christian, and his sister and her daughters would probably hate me. I don't know about my dad though. What should I do?

2. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never heard of anyone claiming to be OK with gay stuff to "look better", and I can't think of any logical reason for anyone to do so. If anything, people are unnaturally homophobic to blend in with the crowd. If your family claims to be open to LGBT stuff, they most probably really are OK with it :slight_smile: Go ahead and tell them!

3. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    im glad you have accepted your sexuality so young at the age of 14... at that age i was so scared of it that i hid from it and denied it. so that being said i envy you. i wish i came to terms with it then, but i guess every one has there own process. by how you talk about your family, you seem to be in a good position to come out. it will probably be a shock to everyone and it will talk time for everyone to be ok with it, but if you feel safe and ready to do so, then i say go for it! like you said you need to tel them sooner or later, and sooner is always better. as for your aunt and cousins, well if they really love you then it should not be a problem, and if they have a problem with it then thats their problem. done take any criticism for being your self. i wish i knew that years ago.

good luck with what ever you decide to do!