1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel awkward after I come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by queerunity, Oct 9, 2008.

1. queerunity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As a gay guy I feel weird after coming out to male friends. I don't want them to think I am gonna check them out or anything. Nobody has acted differently to me but I am so conscious about it that I pull back from them. Like my straight guy friends hug and whatever and I feel like i am being rude for fear they will think i like them. When we are at a pool/beach or wherever I kinda just dont look at them, i dont like them, but i wanna make sure they dont think i do. its getting me neurotic.

2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a hint: If they get scared you're gonna hit on them, tell them not to flatter themselves.

3. Adam

Just let them know you are not interested

4. silversurfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel the same way, it is awkward to me as well. I'm not worried that I'm going to like them I don't really know what I'm afraid of rejection I guess.

5. Loveless

Loveless Guest

I felt that way too, It's completely normal.

6. No One

all of the guys i have told turn out to be gay but i felt the same way when i wanted to tell my friend chris but before i could tell him he told me that he was gay lol but yea i guess just dont worry if they dont act like it bothers them than it prolly doesnt

7. I feel awkward too. It's almost like guilt or shame or something of that sort but I always get like a weird feeling in my stomach when I tell people.

8. Rubra et atra

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel this too sometimes but then again I'm paranoid about a lot of stuff...
    Guess one just sorta has to get used to the thought of being out.

9. NuthinButLuv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say just go with what you're comfortable with, be natural. I think you're over thinking it. I would bet your friends aren't even thinking about it, so neither should you.

10. Gumtree

I remember feeling the same way when I first came out - I eventually realised that everyone has a line that they're comfortable with, chances are that if you're out to your friend and they are fine with it, you wont cross that line unless you do something rather crude.

Best possible solution - ask them. Everyone is different and ultimately you never know until you ask.