1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to anyone

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Clancularius, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I learned that I was a transsexual about a 1.5 months ago(although I always kinda knew, I learned that the word transsexual applies to me). But I don't know many people who I could come out to, because i was raised in a pretty conservative area. The only people I know who would may be accepting if I came out is my gay uncle and my best friend, who I've known since before my first birthday. I don't want to come out to my parents because they will 1. Not believe me, 2. Send me to a therapist(I've been in therapy for years now because of depression and I don't want to have to keep going for many more years), 3. If they do accept the fact that I'm trans, I will always be labeled as a anomaly. Luckily, I don't think my parents would become abusive or disown me. Should I came out to either of the two people I listed?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It will all come down to as to how you feel about coming out.

It seems that your uncle should be pretty understanding and supportive, which could definitely provide you with a boost in confidence and a sense that things are moving forward for you.

If you wanted to test the waters first as it were, and feel you can trust your friend, you could try coming out to them and start building your support network that way. But again, it will depend on how you feel about coming out to someone at this stage.

When you ask yourself, 'am I ready to come out to my best friend or to my uncle?' ... how do you feel?