1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

only child and scared

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stuckincloset, Nov 25, 2014.

1. stuckincloset

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    as the only child of my parents i don't want to disappoint them thats why im scared of telling them the truth. and i grow up as a catholic.

one time my mom saw a local celebrity lesbian couple on tv and she finds it kinda gross! so thats why i' scared to come out coz now i know her reaction. we got a lot of family issues aside from my little secret. she gets so dramatic sometimes, over reacting on some stuff. probably the effects of menopause i think. :grin: i don't know about my dad if he's going to be cool about it because he has some gay and lesbian relatives.

p.s. please bear with my english vocab :grin:

2. mangotree

As much as you idolise and care about your parents, it's not your job to sacrifice your happiness and peace of mind for the sake of theirs.

3. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am where you are, not out to my parents and an only child. I sometimes think that even LGBT people with siblings cannot fully understand what it is like to be an only child and gay: there's definitely an extra trauma there. It's also the case that in only child families, there's often a level of investment and attachment to the child that makes coming out a little more emotional.

So much of it is not just - in my case - worrying about their reaction, but dealing with my own feelings of guilt for not being an 'adequate' child, and not being able to give my parents biological grandchildren. It haunts me. I don't have any solutions for you, but give yourself space to feel the pain of this. It gets better after a while.

Your mother sounds homophobic to a degree, so tread carefully; do not come out without considering the situation carefully...

4. stuckincloset

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    thanks for the advice. :slight_smile:

5. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like your going through something that i just got over.
    what you have to do, is try to stop feeling like your not a good child because youre a lesbian. Youre perfect just the way you are. If they feel like youre are a lousy child because ur not the same as them in who you like, thats there problem. I appologize if im being so point blank.
    I would take coming out to your mother with a grain of salt. Shes sound dissaproving, but only you truly know how she may react. I think that your dad sounds fine with LGBT+ people. Maybe you could tell him first, and he could help you tell your mom. I hoppeneverything goes well for you.

6. xxlovebuggxx

xxlovebuggxx Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    They will always ALWAYS love you, no matter who you are. Even if they take it wrong when you do come out, they'll eventually warm up to the idea because you're their daughter - their ONLY daughter, at that - and they will love you still.

7. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'll tell you the same damn thing i tell everyone.

the sooner you do it, the sooner you will be happier. the longer you wait, the longer it'll be on your mind; making you miserable. i mean just face it, you're going to HAVE TO do it eventually.... waiting is only going to stress you out more. don't get me wrong, there's thousands of unaccepting parents out there but just because your mom made a negative comment about a gay couple doesn't mean that she'll be closed minded enough to disrespect her own child. don't get bent all out of shape though if her initial reaction isn't throwing confetti, i'm sure it'll come as a shocker.

8. stuckincloset

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    thank you so much. i truly appreciate all your advice. :slight_smile: