1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well that backfired...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DominoSuis, Nov 25, 2014.

1. DominoSuis

It's a little awkward to explain, but I think coming out at work about my sexuality - ignoring its ambiguity for a second - is going to be more than a little difficult.

There's one fella at work who likes to joke a lot about sexuality in general, and he seems - well, seemed - to be a respectable guy in that regard. So I decided to start testing the waters with him, and made a few side jokes (very light, nothing offensive!) about bisexuality. Joking back and forth with him is usually a good way to check his opinion without actually TELLING him outright.

Well... it didn't go the way I wanted. Right after the word 'bisexual' crossed my lips, he scowled and went into a rant about how bisexuals don't exist; they're just heterosexuals or homosexuals being greedy and seeking attention.

And now I feel like a massive idiot.

Uhm, is there any way to talk to him about this without revealing my own sexuality? I'm a little nervous to now.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would have stated something like: "What a typical cliche type of comment to make, couldn't you be a little more original? Rather than being greedy, aren't they really just more opened minded about their sexual possibilities? And what, are you jealous?"

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm Bi, i don't see it as being "greedy", rather i see it as not being limited to just one gender.

4. mangotree

It sucks that he reacted in that way.
    Some people don't accept what they don't understand.
    Try not to get defensive. Only education will open his eyes and that can be a lengthy process.

5. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to agree I don't think he can fully understand what it really means to be gay/bi what ever you want to do or be called ! I think he reacted this way because he was may caught off guard and it scared him ! I say don't wast your time with him but if you must talk to him I would have to agree with USxUK and maybe say something like this .
    "What a typical cliche type of comment to make, couldn't you be a little more original? Rather than being greedy, aren't they really just more opened minded about their sexual possibilities? And what, are you jealous?"

But this is only my opinion . Good luck

6. SpaceJayce

Don't take it personally. Like Mangotree said, some people won't accept what they don't understand. I wouldn't bother talking to him again.