1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motivation and the future

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by partietraumatic, Oct 10, 2008.

1. partietraumatic

I guess this is an issue of not knowing what i want to do with my life,more than anything So having entered my last year of school i've been applying for university. I decided to apply for geography. The problem is i don't feel motivated by university at all. I don't have any burning desire to go and study geography, i just find it mildly interesting and fairly easy. The place really wanna go is Durham university, which is more to do with the fact that its a really nice little town. Problem is that it is the best place in the country for geography- its even more competitive to get in to that oxford or cambridge! Though i've been predicted 3A grades i really don't think ill get in, probably because i'm not motivated enough, and that will come across of my statement in my application i think. Problem is my other university choices i don't really care about. Durham is the only place i actually want to go. The other places I'm applying to i don't really care about. I dunno, i just feel like you're supposed to be passionate about what you want to study at uni,and i'm just not. I kinda just feel like i'm doing it because its what everyone else does and its what you're supposed to do, and what would i do otherwise. On top of that i have NO IDEA what i want to do with my life, in terms of a job. My other friends all either know exactly what they want to be (eg doctor,lawyer) or they have a general idea of what field they are going to go into...whereas i have no idea. I don't even have a vague idea of what i'd like to do. My bezzie was asking me what im passionate at, or what can i see myself doing? Weeeell my answer was play music in a band, but thats hardly a viable career path-i can't drop everything and start a band on the off chance that we will be good enough and get a record deal.

so really i'm worrying that there doesn't seem to be anything in my life that motivates me. Don't get me wrong,i love my life, its not like im depressed. Life is great most of the time, but i just wonder if i should be more motivated to do things....

hmmmm this has ended up more of a long musing than a question lol,maybe i shouldve put it in my blog sooorry hehe

2. Cool Beans

I wish I had an answer for you there, but I'm in a similar situation myself. Do you feel that you could be satisfied with a career that utilized your potential studies of geography? If you truly believe that you could be, then perhaps you should consider it. If not, find something else. At any rate, you could surely find some way to still have a band on the side as a hobby-- it just wouldn't be your career.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it might be just a matter of finding the 'right thing' that interests you. You have mentioned one of your interests: music. Besides being in a band there are tons of other things you can do with that interest. For example, would you be interested in choosing a path that could lead you to become a music teacher? The point is, think about some of your interests and the things you like to do. Once you have come up with a list, look at it and ask yourself: "what kind of a career path can I choose that would allow me to do something that includes something that interests me." Then, have a look at the programmes/degrees that the university or different universities is/are offering. Maybe like this you can find something that would interest you to pursue.

In addition, go through/read through some of the university brochures and online information. Maybe you will find something that might potential interest you.

Also, once you have your list of interests, you could visit a carrier counselor at your prospective university and talk to him/her about it as well. I am sure that he/she would also be able to give you some insights.

Choosing a field of study (geography) for the sake of studying something is not going to get you very far because sooner or later you are going to ask yourself why am I doing this? Once self-doubt sets in, you are not going to have a lot of fun in the programme.

Hope this helps!

#3 Mirko, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  4. Gumtree

You need to find what you're truly interested in.

Some people spend years trying to figure out what they want to do - give yourself time and keep an open mind. Attempting to force yourself into a study or career in something you really believe in is just wasting time.

Remember that you don't have the decide your study on your future career!