1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difficulties with my roommates parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BlueRose, Oct 10, 2008.

1. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So. I just recently (as in yesterday) got a new roommate at my dorm. There are, as yet, not problems between us. We've known each other for most of the semester, and we have at least one mutual friend. The problem is with his parents. I met them once, for lunch, while we were attending Dragon Con. It was pleasant, and I never thought much of it. Apparently, though, both of his parents figured out I was gay just by having lunch with me. And they aren't too excited at the prospect of their son rooming with a homosexual. Which presents a bit of a problem. They have agreed that we can be roommates for this semester. However, they said that either he had to get anew roommate next semester, move into an apartment, or they would not pay for his housing. And all of this makes me angry. They say that their main concern is what others might think of their son living with gay person. Any thoughts?

2. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

wow how intolerant. i would have him talk with his parents :-/

3. Mickey

I understand you being pissed. But there's not a whole lot you can do about it.
    Your roommate needs to deal with his parents himself. You have a right to feel the way you do,don't get me wrong. Just go with whatever happens. That's about all you can do.
    Sorry I'm not much help but I did want to respond to your post. We all face homophobia every day. Sometimes we can make a difference and sometimes we can't. This seems like one of the can'ts. BTW,what does your roommate say about all this?

4. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I know there's pretty much nothing I can do about it. It's just so frustrating. I finally find a roommate I know I get along with, and then this happens.

5. riddlerno1

it just feels that this is something that although involves you, it says more about what is going on between your roommate and his parents. It doesnt sound like it matters to him that his roomate is gay so this something he needs to talk about with his folks. It sucks but there probably isnt much you can directly do about it.

6. Corny

Corny Guest

As the others have said - you can't do much about it. But since they already seem to have made their decision - feel free to challenge it if you should meet them again. Think in advance what you say and how you say it. It might not change their decision but hopefully it at least makes them feel bad :wink:

7. kramer362

Sounds like your roommate's parents are immature little bitches who care way too much what their judgemental cliquey friends are gonna think.

But don't judge your roommate for it if he's been cool with you all along. Tell him if you can't be roommates you'll definitely wanna remain friends, if you consider him a friend as it is and not just a roommate. :icon_wink