1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When and How Should I Come Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BehindTheAura, Nov 26, 2014.

1. BehindTheAura

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm finally ready to come out! :slight_smile:

My mom and I have been discussing it and after her assuring me that she would kick my dad out if he reacted poorly and tried to hurt me/kick me out, I decided that it's time.

My feelings for men have been increasing rapidly lately and I'm just ready to get out there (literally) and mingle with guys.

I'm considering coming out to my father and family either on my birthday or my birthday party. I like the birthday party part because my dad wouldn't be able to flip shit because my friends and family would be there. I just don't know what to do... My birthday is December 4th so it's kinda urgent and I have to plan it with my mom so she can help me make my dad happy that day.​

2. BehindTheAura

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Can anyone help me? :frowning2: This is really important to me and I don't know what to do.

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your thread has only been up for an hour; give it time. :slight_smile:

It's great that you have your mother's support! Having such a close ally in your family should be a huge relief. With that said, if you are legitimately fearful of how your dad will respond, what do you hope to accomplish by coming out to him right now? It seems to me that since you know your mom has your back it might be better to just come out to the people who you know will love and support you. If your dad finds out on his own, deal with it then. Or maybe it would be better to have your mom tell him when you're not around, I don't know. Just don't feel that you absolutely have to initiate confrontation in order to be yourself.

4. Oh hai

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Come out when your dad is calm and has time to listen, bring up an LGBT topic first, see his eaction, give him the news. Best of luck!

5. I am Kakashi

I wouldn't suggest having your mom tell you dad. Your dad deserves more than that, and I think he will take your more seriously/ see you are mature for talking to him "like a man". Not saying you need to support that stereotype particularly, but it's something your dad would understand and relate to, and appreciate.

Since you aren't out except to mom, I think doing it during the party would be appropriate and/or awkward. After the party guests have left, hopefully your dad will be in a relaxed and happy mood. Tell him there is something you need to talk to him about. Sit in an area where you and him (and maybe mom) can all sit pretty close together, without a huge table in between. Just chillin' on the biggest couch or what have you.

The wording from here is where it gets tricky and awkward, since we don't know your dad. Some say to start with mentioning a gay person from the tv etc to start, but I think it's too late for that. If you were goiggoing to do that, you'd better to do that like ASAP and just get a quick reaction and move on till the big day.

but once you've got him sat down, you just have to bite the bullet.

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I wouldn't do it at the birthday party. The situation is unpredictable, it could ruin things for you, and I would show him more respect. you've already got your mom in your corner, which is a great thing. I would definitely have mom present, and would have a "break away" plan if he does flip out. Like, if he starts bouncing off the walls, be near a door that you can just run out and go to a safe place. have a phone in your pocket as well. and prepare that safe place by telling someone there that you may need to come running to them at a specific time. but having your mom there and on your side makes all the difference in the world

7. BehindTheAura

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What I hope to accomplish is to be happy and open about my life and just try to interact and possibly date some guys. It's like eating me up inside and it's just getting overwhelming.

Thank for taking the time and writing so much! I really appreciate it. My dad asked me if I was gay when I was 14 but I said no because I was just scared as I was still coming to terms with it. My mom wouldn't tell my dad and she would act like she didn't know when I told my family. It's easier that way because if he was ok with it, he would be mad that I didn't tell him first or something so that's just a safety precaution. But I know my grandma would be on my side as well since she is very gay-friendly I guess.

I just really don't know what to do... :dry:

Thanks for your response! I'm going to talk to my mom about a "break away" plan. I could just drive away because my car is outside in the backyard. I don't know haha.