1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Shame?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Steam Giant, May 10, 2007.

1. Steam Giant

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this before, and I'm sorry that I don't have very much time to elaborate (I'm on break).

Basically, the more comfortable I'm getting thinking about guys, the less comfortable I'm getting thinking about girls. I'm definately still attracted to them, but it's like when I admire a girl that I like, I get this feeling like it's wrong to think that way...kind of how I felt about guys when I was in denial. It's very strange, and is causing me to question a lot of things.

The hardest part is that the girls I used to think I was attracted to, I really wasn't attracted to, I simply admired them in a non-sexual way. Of course, I'm still sexually attracted to other women, or at least, as far as I know...

This uncertainty is really bothering me...has anyone else felt this way?

2. xxAngelOnFirexx

I was bi for months before i relized that i didn't like guys at all for a relationship and that i'd much rather be with girls. At first I was like I like guys more than girls. than I was like, you know, i really am starting to like girls a lot more. Then I was like well I'm just gay/bi because i still like guys 10%. then I gave up trying to convince my that i liked guys in that way (i still will check out guys adn think they're cute, i just don't want to date them). So i decided that I was lesbian a word i'd grown up hating so much because i did not want to admit that that was me. But now i'm okay with it. You might just be fading into being fully gay. I was confused at first so you might be too.

3. Zec24

Hi Steam,

I can see where you are coming from. I can even relate to a certain extent. I've always sort of known I never wanted to date guys and I haven't, but as I've finally started to identify myself as "gay" I feel that if I look at a guy and think he is attractive that there must be something wrong with that. I feel guilty for some reason. But on the other hand I realize that I just merely appreciate some of the aesthetic qualities of some guys, I just don't feel anything in a sexual way towards them. But yeah, that is really confusing when you are still trying to sort things out about your sexuality in your own mind.

4. TeeBe

I understand where you are coming from. I can't figure out what I am. I have dated guys, and I think that at the time I was attracted to them...But never sexually. Strange. I always found some guys attractive, and I always noticed them. Kind of like, I really wanted them to be a good friend. I KNOW that I like girls.

Now that I have come out to a few people, I am less comfortable thinking about dating guys. Almost like "Okay, I know what I am. Other people know what I am." I wonder if I am actually attracted to them, of just reacting to a social norm and the way that I had lived for a long time. Old habbits die hard.

5. Sam

Sam

wow I completely understand you and especially what writergurl said and writergurl I think I'm at the point now that you described that you went though I know I like girls and can be very comfortable in a relationship with girls. I am not comfortable being in a relationship with a guy it just doen't seem right although I might find them attractive I do find both girls and guys attractive its just I don't find guys attractive very often it is like maybe 10-15% compared to girls

6. Steam Giant

Thank you all so very much! Just the knowledge that this is a normal thing and not something wrong with me is very reassuring! Thank you so much! Your help really means a lot ^^