1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad troubles

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blizzerd, Oct 10, 2008.

1. blizzerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So i came out to my parents yesterday. exciting i know :grin: but the thing is, my mom was totally ok with it and everything and she still loved just as much as before, but my dad was iffy. where i live its really acceptable to be gay, lesbian, bi or whatever (which is really nice) but i swear my dad is homophobic. when i told my parents my dad started asking me really weird questions and kept saying that it's just a "phase" teenagers go through. he'll probably forget about it or just accept it after awhile but there is a girl at my school i really like and want to go out with but i don't know how he will react. also, my dad's ideas reflect onto my brother and he is a really important part of my life but i don't think he'll react that well either. what should i do >.<

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off, congratulations on coming out to your parents. You took a major and brave step.

It sounds like that your dad will need some time to come around to it. Sometimes it does take some time for parents to adjust to it. Saying it is a "phase that teenagers go through" is a classic first response. Given that your mom is supportive maybe you could ask her for some support if and when you want to talk to your dad about it some more. I think it is important though that you give your dad the time that he needs. At the same time continue talking to him and show him that you are still you and that you have not changed.

In terms of your brother, is it important to you that he knows about it at this point? How old is he? I think it might be easier telling your brother (given that your dad seems to have some influence over him) once your dad has come around to it or at least 'warmed up to it.' Maybe you could talk to your mom and dad not to say anything to your brother at this stage.

That said, if you think or feel that it might not be a good idea that your brother finds out from someone else, then maybe you could talk to him one on one, and reiterate that your mom has accepted you and is supportive and that dad will come around to it eventually. Usually sisters and brothers are accepting and understanding.

When it comes to going out with the girl that you like, maybe you could just let your mom know at this stage and maybe you could let your dad know at a later date. I do think that it is important that you give your dad the time that he needs to adjust to it.

Hope this helps a bit.