1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GhostNeko, Nov 29, 2014.

1. GhostNeko

Ok. So, I found out I actually like men. I'm gay, proud of it.
    But I'm not quite sure if and when I should tell my parents.
    Considering my Dad is a Catholic, and my mother... kind of angry.
    Should I tell them that I'm gay? How would I even tell them?
    My friends know, EC knows, but not my family. None of them.

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you still live at home and depend on your parents for safety and security it's always a difficult judgement to make and even more so when you factor in religious beliefs or previous hostility. If they react badly, where does it leave you?

I don't like to advise people against coming out, because it is so liberating to not have to hide or pretend who you are, but when you are very young and living with parents it is sometimes for the best to maintain a silence about your sexuality. When you are a little older and able to support yourself that might be the best time to come out to them.

3. idefygravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can't say that I know exactly what you should do, or have gone through.
    My best advice is to wait.
    I've accepted my sexuality wholeheartedly and I would love to tell my family. I have a great-uncle who was gay, so I assume they would accept me.
    My mother, though, has some anger issues and some of her beliefs can be conservative.
    I don't talk to my father anymore, so I'm waiting to tell her.

Your parents do give you that safety and security and will probably help you out even into your college years.

My advice is to wait. If you feel like there is a time when you have to tell them, then do it. If you can, however, wait. And my biggest issue I've had over the past year of not telling them is hiding it, or not telling them when I'm angry.

Honestly, having that support group of friends is the most amazing thing.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can always talk to them about your feelings, and have them tell you that you are gay. You don't have to put the label on yourself. If you think they will treat you badly, wait until later.

5. Aaron165

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I personally think you should because then you will be okay with all the things you do in frint of them and never have to worry about am i acting manly enough or am i acting to homosexual or not normal i say you should because it will relieve so much stress.

6. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

Ironic, my families catholic and I'm going through a similar struggle.

7. danielo21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe you could test the waters somehow. I don't know if you already did that. Bring out the topic of LGTB rights and see how they react. Remember that some people are unpredictable and could appear unaccepting but once they must confront the situation the love for their kids is way stronger. Anyway, you know your parents more that us and the decision is up to you, but my advice is to indirectly question them and make a decision based on that.:icon_wink

8. GhostNeko

Alright. My mother already knows I go on this site. Thank GOD she doesn't know my account.