1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally accepted that I'm gay.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by laloski, Nov 29, 2014.

1. laloski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Last Monday I was having coffee with my former boss, catching up on what we did during the summer. During the conversation she asked me if there was anything new in my life and I ended up coming out to her. She doesn't know that that was actually the first time I had ever said that I'm gay out loud and that she is the very first person I have come out to.

Accepting that I'm gay was liberating, but, I don't think I'm ready to tell anyone else any time soon.

2. laloski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh I forgot to ask if anyone has advice in helping get over the fear of coming out to other people?

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I could give you a quick and simple answer or magic formula that would ease the fear and anxiety, but I can't.

Coming out is scary as we are never sure how people will react, but the darkness of the closet is also scary and it weighs very heavily on us too. So really, we have a bit of a trade-off and have to ask ourselves "what is the least worst option?". To begin with, we opt to remain in the closet, because we think it's safer there, but eventually we realise how oppressive and stifling it is to deny ourselves and live a lie until we eventually come out to just one person (like you have just done). For me, it was coming out to that one person and finding it so liberating that set the ball rolling.

You may not feel ready to come out to anyone else right now, but now you have experienced the liberating feeling of telling someone, you may find it hard to leave it there for long. That's how it happened with me and I'm sure many others will tell you the same.

Well done on coming out.

4. Tyrion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think accepting that you are gay is the hardest part. It took me way too long to accept it , but once I did I felt so much better. Now I don't care what anyone thinks of me.

Glad you came out :slight_smile:.. congrats!

5. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

It's an ongoing journey, the more people you come out to the easier the whole thing gets. But don't rush it do it at a speed that is comfortable for you.

6. laloski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The funny thing is that 3 of my best friends are gay but for some reason I'm still to afraid to tell them. Hopefully I can get the ball rolling some time soon!

For me, I think accepting it was the easy part because I don't have to tell anyone. Like Patrick was saying, I have to choose between the least worst option at the moment. I come from a very religious family that has outcasted gay members before.

7. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just be patient, and someday you will find the courage. I'm still trying to find the strength to be open about it. Don't do it until you are ready. Good luck :slight_smile:

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, congrats on coming out to your former boss. That's a great start! As far as others, no need to force yourself. When you get comfortable, you will know. If there are other casual acquaintances you feel comfortable telling just as you did with your former boss, they are a great way to help you build confidence by telling them. Thereafter, if there are more important people you want to share it with, you have built a foundation for which to do so. But all in due course on your own time table.

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your friends would be a good place to continue coming out, as they will be comfortable with it and supportive of you, because understand how it feels. Don't be surprised if they aren't surprised to hear it from you; "gaydar", you know.

10. laloski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You all are very helpful and you're right, I don't have to rush things. Do you guys have any advise in coming out to family?

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your three gay friends have gaydar that'S worth a shit, they probably already know you're gay. Even the people who are convinced they hide it really well... are almost never successful. So coming out would likely be completely anticlimactic... if that helps make it easier.

As for family... a lot depends on your sense of how they'll handle it. If you're pretty certain they'll be accepting, then there are lots of options. A pretty common way is over email. If in person, sometimes preparing a letter and either leaving it for them, or having them read it in your presence is a good way.

In any case, congrats on having come out for the first time. That's awesome, and it totally gets easier every time you come out to someone new.

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think that the way to overcome any fear is to just do it, and then do it again, and then do it again, and then keep doing it. before you know it, you're not even thinking about it. you're off to a great start, laloski!!!!

13. laloski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You guys were right, it gets easier to tell someone after the first person. I actually plan to tell me sister after i finish finals in a little over a week, wish me luck!

14. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I told my parents, each one independently said they were waiting for me to finally figure it out! Jeez.......

15. cr9814cr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The coming out experience is unique and special to every one in a different way. I am out to a few people. I told my best friend and it was one of the most monumental feeling ever. I was overwhelmed with so many emotions, but I was happy. I had somebody to talk to and to tell about my life and loves. It gets easier as the ball rolls on. I wish you many blessings on your coming out path!!

16. Wildside

Wildside Guest

that is a good way to describe it, it definitely was "one of the most monumental feelings ever." and that coming out to someone safe, a friend, really made me happy. that's as far as I've got, but I hope that it does get easier "as the ball rolls on," as you say. I really believe you that it will, and I am really anxious to find those opportunities. sometimes topics of gays comes up in talking to my wife, but I haven't been quite able to steer it into the direction of getting her to understand that I am gay. I just hope...
    thanks for sharing your experience with us. It really helps. (&&&)

17. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

Does that apply to women or just men?

18. Candace

I'm glad that you're able to accept yourself as you are. :slight_smile: You know what they say, you can't love anyone else unless you love yourself first. And you know what the best part is? You don't have to hide anything anymore! You're being you for once. No lying. No making up stories and fake alibis to hide your little secret. It's all good now :grin:

19. IWICCO

If your friends are truly friends, they will be understanding. Especially since they are gay. Are you hesitant because you feel they may tell someone? At the end of the day you have to come out when you are most comfortable and feel safe. It was scary for me to come out to my BFF, but I felt soooo much better after I did.

The best of luck to you.

20. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am so happy for you!!!!!!