1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to high school friend i haven't seen over 10 years

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Regacter, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Regacter

Regacter Guest

So here is my situation and in need for some advice.

I've only came out to a few close friends so far. I'll be traveling out of state and will be staying with one of my old high school friends that i haven't seen in over 10 years. We kept in touch together via facebook but it seems now a days since we're busy and have our own lives our friendship is not like it was back in high school. Anyways, my gut is telling me that i should tell him that I'm gay before staying at his place for a few days or should i not bring it up and just wait until the "relationship" topic comes up during conversation? Thanks.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have any concerns that he might react negatively? Any examples from when you hung out with him that would lead you to be concerned? This would help me decide, if I were in your shoes, to let him know in advance.

Another consideration is to decide how important it is to say something in person versus remotely. If you really want to do it in person, that's an important factor as well.

When I came out to friends from school, I did not feel any obligation to tell them in person, and given the distance from where I lived to where they are, I was fine simply doing it over the phone rather than waiting to see them next.

3. Regacter

Regacter Guest

From what I remember back in the day, he was the church-going-type-of-guy that did mention homosexuality is a sin and the gays will go to hell. But whats complicated was that he never dated any girl in high school, always dressed in the latest designer clothing, well-groomed, a lot of female friends, and a lot of people suspected he was gay. I was probably like one out of the two guys he met during high school that he actually hanged out with (we both liked video games and laughed at the same stuff). Over the years since i had him on myspace and facebook, he never posted any relationships he had with any women. So i dont know.. Im thinking of just staying at a hotel and probably just inviting him for dinner or something and telling him then why i didnt accept the offer staying at his place.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to bring your sexuality up at all if you don't want to. You can visit and talk about "old times" and enjoy being together as friends. If the question comes up in the context of your conversations, you can play it by ear and tell him if it makes sense. You aren't visiting him to have sex (presumably), so "coming out" to him is not mandatory just because you are visiting, any more than if you are going on a camping trip with current friends who are not aware of your sexuality.

5. aboutface

I guess I'm not sure why you're preemptively assuming for him that his reaction will be "you're not welcome in my house because you're gay." If he's already agreed to let you stay with him, I'd probably go through with it. If you're really worried about that type of reaction you can tell him early on, and even offer to leave for a hotel room if he prefers, but I wouldn't just decline his offer to stay with him outright, personally.

It's hard to know what to say about coming out to him though without a better feel for the relationship, both now and in the past. Part of me thinks it might be an opportunity for a more meaningful connection, even though that is far from a sure thing. But overall I would root for you to go for it if you feel like you could. But obviously there shouldn't be any feeling of obligation, just opting not to say anything is fine too if that's what you decide.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I ditto this thought. Well said.

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

sounds exciting. Just one question: so are you maybe hoping that he'll tell you that he is gay too, and that you'll be able to take your friendship to the next level?

8. Regacter

Regacter Guest

Thanks for the advice fellow members. I am hoping that he is gay too- it would be nice to have at least one friend i can actually relate with (all my other friends are straight)- nothing serious though- i always consider him a very good friend. Ill keep you guys posted in what happens when i come out to him. Ciao :slight_smile:

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

and if he's a good friend, he'll stand by you even if he's not gay, right? and if he doesn't stand by you, at least you'll know. I'm hoping that he is both a good friend, and that he comes out to you as well. that would be the dream scenario! I remember guys from when I was in high school that when I look back, it is SO obvious that they are gay, and one of them was even trying to come on to me but I didn't realize it. If I stilled lived there, I would look him up and let him know I'm gay. I've tried to find him on the internet, but no luck. so don't miss your chance to find out. good luck!

---------- Post added 30th Nov 2014 at 09:31 PM ----------

p.s., after typing that email above, I went on facebook looking for him. I found somebody who MIGHT be him, with lots of gay logos and stuff on his web page. I sent him a friend request. I hope, I hope, I hope... So glad you're not waiting 40 years to follow up, like I have!!!

10. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Hooray Hooray Hooray Hooray Hooray!!!!! Regacter, you gave me the idea of tracking down my high school buddy on FaceBook. I sent him a send request, and he accepted. they I saw all this gay stuff on his page, and was so excited. We started chatting, and I came out to him right away. I am SO SO SO happy today. thanks for the suggestion

11. Regacter

Regacter Guest

Happy for you Wildside :slight_smile: Dream scenario came true :slight_smile: ill give an update to what happens when i meet my old high school friend in a few weeks.

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Thanks so much, Regacter! I LOVE YOU!!! (in a family way, of course). It was what you said here that gave me the idea, and the COURAGE!!! I'm praying for you! I really look forward to reading how things turn out for you with your old high school friend.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think he's secretly gay and in denial but maybe u could stay with him come out to him than maybe he'll come out to u and you'll become closer and then you'll fall in love and then before u know it a ring is on your finger and you'll live happily ever after.

14. Regacter

Regacter Guest

Update:

So yeah, apparently he turned out to be gay too ::lol:: We havent seen eachother for over 10 years and when we met it was just like old times from high school. I came out to him and he said he already kind of knew and added "took you long enough!" I found out that he had a partner and he wanted me to be his bestman at his wedding next year. He ended up taking me to all the gay bars/club in the area and gave me some really good advice. I ended up staying in a hostel and not his place and when he found out where I was staying- he drove me to the hostel, grabbed my luggage, and said "what the hell!? Grab your ::beep:: your staying with me!" It was nice and i am very happy- my best friend ended up apparently being my gay best friend :slight_smile:

15. OOC73

Awww that's awesome!

I also did this - looked up a friend who came out to me when we were teenagers, I was the first person he told and I have always been thankful and honoured that he felt I was worthy of that moment in his life.

So I found him on Facebook and returned the favour (he wasn't quite first but I'm not massively out and he's the first gay male friend that I have told.) he's been an absolute treasure xx

16. Wildside

Wildside Guest

wow, Regacter, so there are at least three happy endings from you sharing on EC. First me, then you, then OOC73. I am so happy for you, it sounds like your visit with your "best gay friend" was totally spectacular!!! the tour of the gayborhood, and the advice he gave you, well, what can you say but priceless!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome congratulations (*hug*)

18. aboutface

That's really great, I'm thrilled it worked out so well for you!