1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do gender fluids come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WyldStyle, Nov 29, 2014.

1. WyldStyle

About a year ago I finally figured out that I have a female identity that I want to express. Since then I've been buying girl stuff, using girl stuff and just trying to act more like a girl. I even wore some of my girl stuff to school a few weeks ago, but that was more me being a guy in girl clothes than a guy being a girl.

Anyways, I've never actually told anyone that I am gender fluid (except my best friend who's known me since I first came out as bi), and I don't really know how. I don't know how to explain my situation to people and I also don't really know anyone worth telling. I don't dress up that much around people, so I've just not bothered telling anyone, it was my secret. But now I'm starting to want to go out in public dressed up. Should I bother telling people, and if so how?

2. WhisperLoom

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not sure how to answer since I'm much further behind you in terms of this gender fluidity acceptance thing. It seems like you are a pretty positive and brave person already. Congratulations on accepting that part of you. You could try what Jessica Who (crossdressing comedian) said coming out. She told her best guy friend she had a kind of alter ego. He laughed and said "what, like Superman?" And she said "well more like Supergirl"

Or maybe it was Batman/Batgirl.

It always stuck with me as a fun thing to say, while also remembering to be proud of who you are.

You could just start dressing more feminine and let people ask if they are curious. It's really none of their business anyway, so don't feel like you "owe"anyone an explanation. Exuding self confidence goes a long way towards peoples' positive perceptions.

What girl stuff did you wear to school?

What did you say to your best friend? Maybe he/she can help give perspective...

3. WyldStyle

Good advice, I'll definitely keep that in mind. And yeah, I've pretty much just been being myself and not really coming out to people. To school I wore my black skirt and a pair of leggings to go with, so from the waist down I was girly and fabulous :grin:.

My best friend? They've known me since before I was genderfluid, and before I was bi for that matter. I came out to them as bi long ago and then the gender fluid thing just kinda came out without words....I dunno. :grin: