1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Cant Come Out To My Parents :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ozgunozguven, Nov 29, 2014.

1. ozgunozguven

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So 3 months ago i come out to my parents and they responded very angry and shocked so i lied that im straight, after 2 months i tried to explain them again but i failed again and i dont know what to do anymore... Only my sister is supportive but he thinks that i cant decide beacuse im 13, also she cant control my parents beacuse they are acting crazy like WHAT? MY SON IS GAY? I CANT BELEIVE! ughh im tired and i dont want to lie anymore but im scared cause of their reaction, i really cant stand it anymore :tears: :help: I tried to explain them very clearly and slowly but they want to think that i can turn straight but I KNOW WHAT I AM and its the only thing that im holding on right now :confused:

2. shinji

shinji Guest

1. Denial and Isolation
    - It is a normal reaction to rationalize overwhelming emotions. It is a defense mechanism that buffers the immediate shock. We block out the words and hide from the facts.

2. Anger
    - As the masking effects of denial and isolation begin to wear, reality and its pain re-emerge. We are not ready. The intense emotion is deflected from our vulnerable core, redirected and expressed instead as anger.

3. Bargaining
    - The normal reaction to feelings of helplessness and vulnerability is often a need to regain control.

...etc. Not going to go into last two since they aren't really relevant right now.

Basically, you just need to "deliver" the news, and with that, your "job" is done. Be who you are, and enjoy life. It's your parent's problem now, to deal and accept what you've told them. Don't allow them to control how you feel.

Try not to go at this with the idea that you need to "convince" them. You are not... You simply need to inform them, and leave it at that.

edit: Try to be detached, as much as possible. Don't agree or disagree with your parents. Just stay neutral and let things unfold. You don't want to bring more tension to the situation, by allowing your mind to be clouded by emotion. It's hard... but only if you start worrying about the outcome.

3. samtheman3

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Find a time when you're away from from them for a few days (eg. Holiday, sleepover) and leave them a note or a letter. They will have time to think and accept it and you can say everything without being interrupted or being emotional. Ive only told 1 person because nobody else really needs to know. Just take it easy mate. There's no rush