1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ways to get past the fear

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by clownbaby, Nov 29, 2014.

1. clownbaby

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am out to a couple of friends and even though I knew that one of them, having a lesbian mother, would definitely be supportive, I still felt incredibly frightened to do it. I've planned on telling people and chickened out so many times now, it's like the words just stick in my throat. I think it's because my first coming out experience was very negative, but I'm not sure how to stop it happening. Does anyone have any tips on overcoming the fear and just doing it, particularly when it involves people who could not have the best reactions?

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

personally, I wouldn't start out with people who might not have the best reactions. I've always been kind of fragile emotionally, so I would want to build up a track record of success before going after the tough cases. I would think about the ones that I am pretty sure would receive it well and be supportive. then, I would both have a support network to cheer for me, and the confidence to take on the harder cases. of course, only if there really is a reason to tell them, because not everyone has a need or interest to know. the bad reactions could make you feel unloved and rejected, when the fact is that there are plenty of people who love and accept you. come out to them, if you want to come out to someone now.