1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really want to come out to my dad over Christmas.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mickz, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Mickz

That is if I will see him, usually I don't see him over Christmas or my birthday but anyway.
    My dad is gay himself, he came out to me when I was 13. Our relationship is a great but distant one. He travels a lot and since his travels are tied to work and he has no secure home address, I can't visit him and he doesn't have time to visit me for more than a few hours at a time if my town crosses his path.

But when we do have time to be together, we are very close, he knows me more from only seeing me a few times a year than my mother does living with me the whole year. I love my dad very much and I want to come out to him, and he will definitely accept me, here is no doubt, I'm not scared of his reaction at all, I would've come out already to him but I want to do it in person not over a phone call/text and then the other problem holding me back, I don't want him to tell my mother, because she will blame him, my lesbian best friend and all the other LGBT+ people in my life and forbid me from seeing them. I trust my dad to respect my wishes on not outing me, but he can sometimes talk with his foot in his mouth, a trait which I got from him.

Thoughts on how I can go about asking him to please guard the secret with his life without making it seem like I don't trust him? I don't want to hurt his tender heart :lol:

2. Oh hai

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I am sure that he will feel honored to have his daughter come out to him, and if I were you I would say that I am not comfortable with many people knowing yet, and if it could stay between us for now I would appreciate it.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Buy a small box, and get some wrapping paper. You can decide what kind of wrapping paper, but I'd suggest lots of colors, as close to a rainbow as you can get. To sort of, drop a hint. Then, on a piece of paper, write down something along the lines of:

"Daddy, I love you, and because I do so much, I feel it's time to give you an invaluable gift: my ultimate trust. Daddy, I'm ___."

In the ___, put whatever you feel is appropriate. Hell, feel free to change up the message, to make it more personalized or fitting.

Whatever you do, I'm sure your father will appreciate it. Also, this is a very clever and unforgettable way, of coming out, and establishing a closer bond.

4. Mickz

It sounds like it could work, thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

This is a really good idea :slight_smile: I think I might do it, just changing the note to my language :slight_smile:

5. My dad actually told my Grandma I was gay on Christmas without me knowing and then they didn't tell me for like 9 months. So my grandma knew I was gay for 9 months and didn't treat me any differently. It was a beautiful. Your dad will probably be very excited to know that you trust him with this information. Just tell him that while you wanted to tell him, there are some people you haven't told yet so please respect your wishes in keeping this secret until you feel ready to share it with others. I'm sure everything will be okay and, since he is gay himself, he will understand.