1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as bi

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jordan B, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Jordan B

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, I'm 18 and as it says in my profile, I've always been interested in both genders sexually, but only just recently realised I'm bisexual.

I'm very open with my girlfriend (of about a year and a half) and told her after being together only a few months about how I liked guys sexually, but not sure about romantically.

I then decided yesterday that I am in fact bisexual, I have told her and she's okay with it, but of course wanted reassurance that I wasn't going to leave her for a guy etc. and that was that.

The problem I have now is who to come out to next? Or do I even both coming out to anyone? I mean, why does it matter? I had considered coming out to my mum, but I'm not sure how she'd react and I've heard my dad make some rather homophobic remarks, such as when gay marriage was legalised in the uk, he was watching the news and 2 guys kissed and he commented on how disgusting it was, so telling him isn't really much of an option.

So can someone please give me some advice on my next move?!

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jordan.

2. mangotree

How will coming out improve your life?

3. Hemlock

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'd say take your time with coming out. If you just realized that you are bisexual, then there's no reason to rush. The first few people I came out to were close friends that I knew I could confide in and get support from. Maybe start there?

4. Dakeli27

I basically agree with Hemlock. Wait a while until you're sure, both that you are bi and that you want to come out. If you decide to come out, start with supportive friends. You know each other well, but if there's a falling-out, there's fewer consequences than family.