1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to parents and close friends... now what?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Spirit, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Spirit

I figured out the whole "lesbian" thing the summer before I started high school, and I'm a junior now. So I've been sitting in this for a good while, and I'm really ready to get fully out. I'm out to my parents, my half-siblings, and my really close, long time friends. (As well as some more casual friends.) I'd like to come out to the public. But I'm not entirely sure how to do that... Is that a matter of telling people that I'm gay to every friend I happen to run into? Or would a simple (yet effective) facebook post take care of it? I can't really think of any good reasons for why I shouldn't come out online. I'm just kind of unsure as to what my next step is overall.

So, ideas on coming out to the public world?

2. mangotree

If you're in a real rush to do it and online/facebook is your usual communication with a lot of people, then I can't see a problem with coming out using that medium.

If you want to do it subtly, maybe just become a fan (or like) some of the main LGBT/Equality/Gay-icon pages on facebook.

If you're patient enough to let people know over the course of time - that works as well. E.g. Just bring it up casually in conversation with people, talk openly and honestly about people you're dating or who you're interested in, open up about your coming out experience, become an LGBT activist of some kind, join some LGBT sports or special interest groups etc..

You could also let the people who know that they're welcome to tell others if you're comfortable with that.

3. Spirit

Well, this has been something I've been doing over the course of high school, as I've become more comfortable with myself and more comfortable with telling others. I've got a good support system, and a lot of people around me know (or have some kind of inkling.) I've had a general feeling of "gah, I just want to get this over with" for a couple of months now, but I've been waiting for things to get a little less crazy at school/theater. So I wouldn't say I'm in a rush really, it's that I'm looking to make things "official". And a Facebook post is the only thing that really comes to mind right now. (I already follow various pro lgbt groups, and have set my "interested in" status to interested in women.) I'm sure that that's not the only option here. So thanks for the ideas, and more suggestions are welcomed.

4. David21201

hmmm... wear a badge that says "i'm gay, deal with it"
    just kidding. see im kinda doing it in a reverse order than you. I'm coming out to some of my classmates,teachers, and other parents before I tell ALL of my family. (Some of my cousins know)
    It wasn't hard for me because my gf and just started acting like a couple more and people would ask.
    As for you... a post online, "acting" (as my friends out it) the part as a gay, or just simply telling people. If you tell a few people word may get around quickly, who knows? If you have a GSA join that too.

5. mangotree

There's a lot of different accessories etc.. you can wear as that will make people ask. Anything rainbow, NO H8 or It Gets Better T-shirts or hats.

6. Youngjavert

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The best way to "come out" on facebook is to do it kinda subtly. The absolute best is is you have a girlfriend or a girl that's a friend that knows and is ok that you're interested, to post pictures of you guys having fun together. This sends that right message: that I'm a lesbian, I'm enjoying being a lesbian, it's a cool part of who I am, and you should think so too. Just blatantly posting the words "I'm a lesbian." on Facebook sends more of the message that I'm somewhat comfortable, but still suffering and could could a few Facebook likes to help me own self-image. This may be be accurate and isn't the worst thing in the world. Just be aware of the how your Facebook message suddenly conveys your own views about you sexuality. good luck :slight_smile: