1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joining my GSA...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Smiley1123, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Smiley1123

My friend who I am not out to, convinced me to join the GSA...Now I'm wondering if I go, will I automatically be classified as lesbian?..I am not exactly ready to be out. Plus, I am not exactly ready to be known as not straight to the whole school. So if someone asked me what my orientation was unfortunately i would feel compelled to say straight...

2. Starshine16

Usually with the GSA,there are gays/lesbians/bisexuals there in addition to straight people.GSA is used primarily to bring gay and straight people together to form an understanding and acceptance.So I doubt that you would automatically be classified as a lesbian just by attending.If you don't feel comfortable answering the inevitable what is your sexual orientation? question than don't answer it.

3. simon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Starshine16 is right.

you won't be classified as a lesbian just by going. my friend, a lesbian, went to a gay ball and told people that she was going and not one person has asked if she is gay. they asked what it was like to be with so many gay people.

the point is that when you are ready to go to this GSA that is when you should go.

hope that helped in some way

4. Starshine16

Don't feel like you have to go.You will go when you are ready.It took my 2 years to feel comfortable enough with my sexuality to go to a GSA.

5. Julien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most of my high school GSA identified as straight (at least at that time) my university QSA is more mixed but still a fair amount of straight members. I was closeted to at least most of my QSA for several months, maybe being in GSA will help you feel comfortable coming out, my QSA friends were some of the first people I came out to.

6. NuthinButLuv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should only go when you're ready, but when you do go, even if you tell them and the rest of the world you're straight, it may help you gain a level of comfort you don't have now with your sexuality. It may help you come out later, when you're ready.

As for worrying that people will assume you're a lesbian for going to GSA, don't worry about that. There are a lot of straight people in the GSA (which is kind of important to the initials).