1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Spartan1337, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Spartan1337

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I really want to come out to my parents. I've dropped a ton of hints that I am a lesbian to them with the music I listen to and my interest in gay rights.

But I don't know how to tell my mom and dad :frowning2: My mom's big brother just killed himself, so i am afraid me coming out will just hurt my mom more. Both my parents are atheists so religion is not an issue.

I'm just scared I feel like something is wrong with me. My mom even told me the other day that she would still love me if I was gay. Hell, she might already know, but I don't think she does.

I would like to sit down and talk to them about it and answer any questions my parents might have. I just came out to my best friend yesterday and that worked. But I don't know how to even initiate a conversation like that. Help please!

And thank you all I am so glad to finally have found a place where I am not the weird one for being gay.

2. Rainbows~Exist

From what I've read they should be fine with you coming out as lesbian to them. There's no precise way on how to do so as there is a wide range of ways to come out. It ranges from just saying "Hey I'm gay," to starting an in-depth conversation that eventually will lead to your coming out. I think what you've said would be the best method of coming out (sitting down and talking to them about it e.t.c.) I think you just need to build up the courage to do it.

3. Maunglwin

You said your mom told you she will still love you even if you're gay. It takes so much courage to tell parents because of the possibility of rejection. You now know for a fact that your mom will still love you regardless of your sexuality.
    For me, I had to rehearse a couple times in the back of my head about exactly what Im going to say. Regardless of how ashamed or nervous I felt at the moment, I decided to just pull the bandage and tell them straight forward. For me, I did it for myself because it released this big load off my shoulder that I've been carrying for so many years.
    Based on what you've stated, I have no doubt that you will continue to have your mom's love and support. Kudos to you for reaching out and seeking support.
    Best of luck to you. I have no doubt it will go well.

4. Spartan1337

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the advice guys. I am hoping it goes well. I had started to come out of the closet at school but I went right back in since people were acting really disfavorable towards me for it. And I have feelings for one of my friends and I hinted at being gay and it kind of put her off. So I backed off. I don't know how I am going to handle this. :frowning2: