1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out to my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PositivelyMe, Dec 3, 2014.

1. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm out to several friends and a few adult mentors; I identify as gay. There's a girl I'm really interested in at school, but I feel like it's not fair to pursue a relationship with her until I'm out to my parents.

I'm scared. I don't know how to go about this; I'm not close with them, but I feel like I have to tell them. How do I go about it? Should I plan to stick around after, or hang out with a friend?

I'm just scared.

2. RainbowCranes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The way I told my brother and dad was through text. I texted them at midnight, so I could just pass out after that. I wrote a huge text, and just looked away from the screen and hit 'send'. It's how I came out about it. I wish you luck.

3. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    PositivelyMe, well all I can say is there is no right or wrong way to do this ,you could text, write a letter , send a email ,sit them down and tell them face to face etc. it is all up to you .Do what makes you feel comfortable and do it when you are ready there is no reason to rush you will do it when you are ready . You have all the time in the world so there is no need to rush .I wish you the best of luck and let us know what happens . :slight_smile:

4. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    I did it. I sent a text. It didn't work out as well as I was hoping, but it could've gone worse.