1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out on facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stormborn, Dec 5, 2014.

1. stormborn

i've drafted a little post, and i was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback? i'm planning to post this on facebook in a week or two's time, after i work up the courage to come out to the last person i find it necessary to tell personally. i've got a bunch of people i never talk to, some people i sometimes talk to, and some close friends on this facebook account, to give you a little context.

here's the post:
    "hi friends,

i thought i would make a little psa and let everyone that didn’t already know that i am transgender, and i identify as male. i’d really appreciate it if you all started using he/him/his pronouns and my name, Elliott, when talking to or about me.

i’ve made a new facebook that you can add me on if you want to, as i’ve kind of abandoned this one. feel free to message me on here or my new facebook if you have questions or want to chat or what not :slight_smile:

<insert link to new facebook here>"

thoughts?

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, that's gutsy!:thumbsup: if you feel comfortable and, as you said, you've told the important ones in person, go for it. (*hug*)

BTW, Elliot is a fine name.

3. stormborn

it seems like the best way to tell a lot of people i am not extremely close with at once, is all really.

and thanks :slight_smile:

4. Hell2theno

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I agree! I love that name! I think you should add that you hope they accept you, so it sounds less blunt and to the point. They will, but just trying to help :slight_smile:

5. puppiesarecute

I think that sounds really good!!! I think it's great that you invited people to ask questions.

BTW…I know that everyone on this post has complimented you on your name, but seriously Elliott is probably my favorite name associated with the male type of gender identity.

6. stormborn

ah, that's a good idea :slight_smile: there honestly is a big chance of negative backlash (there are some people with very backwards views in my hometown) so i'm probably just going to jump ship on that facebook when i post it :lol:

also, i didn't realize how many people like my name? i kind of just chose it out of nowhere... :lol:

7. shinji

shinji Guest

Putting your emotions on Facebook, a terrible idea! Consider maybe relaying this information on a "personal message" basis. Since that also ensures that the other party would actually read what you've written. If you randomly post it on your wall, most won't even notice it.

8. stormborn

the idea is that this will be public, so that if i run into these people by chance, they won't misgender me and whatever. i've already come out to everyone that i think i needed to tell personally. would you still consider it a bad idea?