1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I figured it out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Starshine16, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Starshine16

I haven't been sleeping really well since I realized that I was bisexual.I never really put the two together until last night,but it makes sense because trying to keep a secret like this from my parents(whom I still live with) is really stressful and stress is a huge factor when a person is suffering from insomnia.

I don't want to come out just for the fact that I will sleep better,but I hate not sleeping well at night.It has been really hard on me and my grades in school.I wake up exhausted and go to bed exhausted.Sometimes I have to take a nap to get through the day.

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    At least you've identified what causing you stress. Coming out might not be the worst idea once you get a feel for how your parents will react. Try to drop hints or get their opinions on non-heterosexuality and then consider coming out to them.

3. Starshine16

I think my dad will be a lot more open to it than my mom.I do need their financial support to get through college so I really am not sure if I want to tell them right now.

4. musican

Im actually in a very similar situation, the only differences are that im still unsure if im gay or bi, although im pretty sure im bi, and i havent started college yet. i havent been able to sleep well for a while because i was trying to ignore the fact that i like guys. i thought i had put my sleeping problems behind me after i accepted myself and came out to my best friend, but now im thinking about if im bi or gay. more troubling than that is knowing that i cant lie to my parents for ever. i have had a really hard time sleeping because ive been thinking about how my parents, sisters, and people at school will react and the best way to tell people. i feel really bad because i broke my thumb and my mom has been really helpful, doing things for me that i cant, like she has been all my, and probably her, life. it really bothers me that she can be so helpful to me and i just sit there and keep on pretending to be someone im not, but im afraid that if i tell her everything will change. i want my family to not feel weird around me but right now i feel weird around them and im not sure what to do.

5. Starshine16

I feel really weird around my parents too and I hate that,because I have always had a really good relationship with them.I have laid awake most nights trying to figure things out in my head.I know I am bi,but now I am wracked with guilt over haveing not said anything to my parents.I hate lying to my parents.It really is horrible for me.

6. mj89

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That is why you're not sleeping - it's the same thing for me. The only difference is that I'm at college now, and I sleep fine at school but when I'm home I never sleep well because I'm not out to my parents for the same reasons - the worry of not being accepted by them and the fact that they support me 100% for college.

I'm with wander - drop some hints and see how they react to it. And from the sounds of it, if you do come out, you might want to come out to your dad first (since that's who you feel will accept it more) and see how he reacts to it.