1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to my family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by emielem, Dec 5, 2014.

1. emielem

emielem Guest

I want to come out to my family, I'm tired of hiding who I am. I have just recently accepted myself that I am a lesbian and not bisexual. I had a few friends who knew I identified as being bi but now I feel it's time to tell everyone the truth. I don't even know where to start. I'm not sure how my mom and brother will handle it but I'm pretty sure my dad will flip. My parents and brother live with me, so I need to do this carefully. The biggest issue is going to be them not thinking I'm just being a bitter man hater since I was married before and they've only know about the men I've dated. All my relationships fell apart for various reasons including abuse. I don't want them thinking I'm suddenly a lesbian because of those men. This has been a long time coming, I've known I was attracted to women since I was 15.

I was thinking of trying to find a therapist and discuss it with them first. I don't know, though. Any advice?

#1 emielem, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
  2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Come out to your friends for a second time as lesbian. Then come out to your parents by letter say this
    Dear mom, dad and brother
    I'm a lesbian and always have been. I knew I liked girls since I was 15. It's not because of my abusive ex's that "turned" me gay. I was born that way. Now I'm a beautiful young lady with all my life to live and all my love to give but dad if u even think of just saying something close minded or something that would destroy me emotionally then don't even think about talking to me ever again. Mom, brother I'm not sure how u guys will take this but the same goes for u. I want u guys to be there for me and accept who I truly am because that's what a true family does. I have to get this off my chest I'm 27 and I just wanna be happy and I want u guys to be happy for me.
    Love,
    emieiem