1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to French room mate

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fairybread, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, so, i want to come out to my room mate. I'm mostly out to everyone else, but I need advice here, because my room mate is French, and I'm not sure she would understand gender identity in English (and I don't know enough French to explain it that way). I mean, her English is pretty good, but there is still that language barrier at times.

So, how do you explain a non-binary identity to someone who has English as their second language. Or, does anyone know the French words needed? I mean, I know a lot of native English speakers who have trouble understanding that I can be neither male nor female...

Any advice? Feel free to ask for clarification if I'm unclear.

2. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Chriswe

Hello there! Well, English is my second language and I understand the whole thing pretty dang great. But everyone is different I guess. It might help to draw/find some pictures of gender spectrums and such. Maybe you can show her some videos that are well made for explaining it? Good luck

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  5. FrenchKid98

Hey,

I'm French and I'm 100% bilingual French-English so feel free to ask for the translation of any words or expressions you wanna know how to say in French.

You can post what you would like to say here and I'll translate it for you. You can also message me on my wall or send me a pm if you wish

6. nexusll

nexusll Guest

It might help knowing that gender has been a hot topic in France recently, maybe she'll have already thought about it a bit.
    Also, french words are very similar to english words and I don't think that you'll need much vocabulary to do this. I do not think language is that big of a problem :slight_smile:
    Good luck!