1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disapproving mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by InfiniteStars, Dec 6, 2014.

1. InfiniteStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    About a year ago, my mom found about my questions about my sexuality and such. She told my dad, who is fine with it. Unfortunately, now I live full time with my mom and don't see my dad on a regular basis. Anyways, I'm not entirely sure whether or not my mom still thinks I'm bi/not straight, but in any event whenever we're watching something or I mention pretty much anything LGBTQ she makes her disapproval clear as glass. I find it hurtful and insulting, and I don't know how to respond. I'm not ready to fully and officially come out to her yet, but I really have no idea how to handle this. It hurts like hell, and I don't feel comfortable around her hardly at all anymore. I can't make comments on any homosexual relationships that I like on TV, in books, etc without the "God talk" and what feels like severe judgement.

Now, I am Christian as well, but I have entirely different opinions and views in terms of God and homosexuality (obviously).

So, I'm looking for advice. I don't want to come out to her yet, it's just not the right time, but I don't know how to internally deal with these hurtful comments, sugestions, ideas, etc. Help, please??

2. Extremelygay

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't come out to her if you're not comfortable for sure! Come out to anyone you can trust who'll just be there for you because if you do that, you're golden.

Best of luck

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes, confronting them straight on provided the catalyst necessary for both of you do accept whom you are. She might have read questions you were asking, but that has not provided her definitive evidence of your sexuality. As a result, given the uncertainty, she may feel as if she has an ability to direct the outcome. So long as the uncertainty is there, you might be making it harder for her to come to terms with your sexuality just as you had to do the same yourself.

Has she done anything to suggest physical harm, loss of a home or support or anything of that nature? If she has, I can understanding your desire not to say anything. If, however, all she has reflected is her disapproval, but you know she loves you otherwise, then maybe having a discussion and saying something might be just what is needed.

4. InfiniteStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She hasn't suggested any of that, no, and I don't think she would, but she would always be trying to "convert" me and making sure I was aware of how "wrong" my decisions were.