1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I come out to my friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Extremelygay, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Extremelygay

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Right so I am a lesbian and I know that for a fact but I don't know how to come out to my friends... What's the best way to do it without being too straightforward? :help:

2. Oh hai

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just throw it in when talking about relationships. "Guys aren't really my thing" or a phrase like that would do.

3. Imagery

Imagery Guest

Well if you don't want to make a big deal about it, say it in a light hearted way. I don't know make it fun! Here are a couple links to awesome, silly ways to make the coming out process easier on you and the people you are coming out to.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/skarlan/41-awesome-ways-to-come-out-to-your-friends-and-family

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/24-awesomely-creative-ways-to-come-out-of-the-closet

Hope it helps!! Courage!!

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2014 at 11:59 PM ----------

The second link is a little more serious than the first

4. Randomcloud

I agree with what other people are saying :slight_smile: Provided you're pretty sure these friends are not homophobes or whatever, it's good to just work it casually into conversation. That's how I came out to most of my friends (after telling my parents and best friend separately and in a serious face-to-face). Just things like pointing out girls you think are pretty/would marry (if any xD), casually mention an ex-GF, just whatever the typical straight girl would say about guys (well, we do live in a heteronormative society).

In my experience, I would see something "click" in my friends eyes and they'd just kind of be like "ohhh!" and move on as normal. So it's cool to come out casually just because it kind of means they know you don't think it should be some massive deal and won't treat it like that/bombard you with questions

5. cr9814cr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend asked me who I was dating and she said, "describe her to me!" I replied with, "well, it's not a her."