1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pennylane1988, Dec 7, 2014.

1. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey!
    I want to come out, at least to my family and closer friends, but while some days I'm super ready to do it and I feel comfortable with me being a lesbian, there are others where I start to question my sexuality again and I get confused. It feels like it's my mind playing games and pushing me back so I don't do it, but i don't know. Could it be that I'm not ready to do it yet? Or is it just my anxiety and nervousness?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

2. rainbowdesi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi,

I can understand your situation. I went back and forth a lot... and i mean a lot. What would happen if I came out, how will my life change, how would my friends react ( I am still not out to my parents).. etc.. All these questions made me very anxious.

After much deliberation, I said to myself. When I know this is the truth, why hide? I once I came out to myself, I couldn't wait to my bestie.And then took some months to tell others. I kinda had to sort it out a little quicker because my parents kept bringing up the "m-word" (marriage).

It could be just your anxiety. Wait until you are ready-ready. No rush, ease it into the topic when you are comfortable about it :goodluck:

3. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! :slight_smile:

Those are the exact same questions I ask myself. I think is just that I'm really scared and anxious at this moment because I'm about to give the first step of telling someone in person (already told an online friend, who turned out to be lesbian too (!)).
    I came out to myself and I'm sure I'm a lesbian but the thing is that I thought of myself as straight for 24 years of my life, now I'm 26 (still can't firgure out how I couldn't see the signs earlier lol), so in those moments of inseccurity can't help but to think that it might be just a phase that will end some of these days. Although I know is not because when I realized that I could be gay, something clicked inside me and it was liberating.

4. ABambi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I couldn't decide whether to tell my best friend so got slightly drunk and just went for it. Not what I recommend doing but it helped me XD. If that's not your cup of tea then I suggest staring off with just 1 person (best friend if there reaction would be good. Not family as they are people u will know for the rest of your life so a bad reaction would really hurt ur confidence) good luck.

5. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I thought about doing that with my best friend, actually. Gin is going to be my ally! lol

6. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It should be okay. In my experience coming out can be a wonderful experience but be very careful

7. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will :slight_smile: I don't know why I'm feeling this anxious because most of the people I know are ok with gay people. There's only one friend I'm afraid that might not be that cool about it, but who knows, she might surprise me. Plus, I think they all already suspect something.

8. Poroyl

Poroyl Guest

I felt the same way. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Everyone around me is totally okay with lgbt people, but still it took me years to gather enough courage to come out to my family. I felt an extremely liberating feeling when doing so, but I had before, just like you, felt sickly anxious. If people accept you for the one you are I would recommend coming out. It makes you feel really great afterwards, if somewhat weird. :surprised