1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I come out to my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MissBookworm, Dec 7, 2014.

1. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been partially out of the closet for some time now. I've told my close friends and some not so close friends that I am a lesbian. The reason I describe myself as only partially out is because I have not come out to my parents yet. As you may be able to see on my profile page, I'm only 13, which is part of the reason. Both my mother and my father have been very clear about their views on the LGBTQ community, and I don't feel safe coming out to them until I can be out of the house. However, I feel that 5 years is far too long to pretend I'm someone I'm not. How can I come out to them without them doing something drastic?

2. Chriswe

If coming out affects your safety, please don't. I know it feels horrible, I'm in the same situation, but your safety is the most important thing. If you eventually feel like you have to, it's good to have some close friends that got your back. They will be there to support you. But please think it through before/if you come out to them. I wish you the best.

3. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you Chriswe. Best of luck to you with your parents as well!

4. David21201

I'm in sort of the same boat as you. I am out to the majority of my friends cause... you know I'm dating one of them. As for your parents make sure if something goes wrong you have a place to stay. (friend, close relative, etc.) Just be ready for any response. They may have questions, don't be afraid to answer any!
    I wish you luck! (*hug*)

5. ArodNy1

Im somewhat in the closet. Only a few friends know that im bi. I want to tell my mom but i dont know how. I can wait but i feel like i should tell her. I need help.

6. Clay

Do you have any siblings? If so you could test how they feel on LGBT matters.

If not, at least you have supportive friends. :slight_smile:

7. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, if in your scenario your mom hasn't expressed her views on the LGBTQ community negatively, it all depends on you. I personally think that telling her while she's in a good mood and not sugar coating it is much easier. It's like ripping off a band-aid quickly versus slowly. The only thing I noticed is that it says your orientation is 'confused'. Don't tell close family members until you're sure of your sexuality.