1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to My Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hhkj, Dec 8, 2014.

1. hhkj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey! This is my first post.

I've decided I really want and need to come out to my patents. Not being out to them is starting to bother me a lot. I feel like it makes it very hard to except myself (I have but it just makes it harder to sick with) and I feel it forces me to distance myself from them a little bit.

ABOUT MY PARENTS
    My mom and my step dad love each other very much but they do have contrasting views on many things. I know my mom is "accepting" of gay people (not 100% sure if she would feel the same about her own son). "Accepting" as in feels like it is it's not her business who falls in love with who but not afraid to make a offensive joke (as a joke of course). However, her son being gay could potentially crush her. She's definitely has planned a life for me and having a wife and kids is apart of that.
    My step dad could be more of a wildcard. Religion isn't something that is really talked about in my house, but my step dad is pretty religious (christen). At least that's what he turns to to answer life's big questions. I think he would be ok with it though. We talked about his coworker's transgender daughter and was incredibly open and when he talked he was incredible respectful.

ABOUT MY BROTHERS
    I don't want to or care to come out to them at all. I have two step brothers and one brother. They all have stolen from me, lied to me, and have done some very messed up stuff. If I do tell them I plan on it being more causal.

MY SUPPORT GROUP
    90% of my friends would support me. I have only came out to one though. If I do get kicked out or anything I would be able to count on her for a good amount of time.

QUESTIONS
    1. Is it ok to come out to your parents first and then wait to come out to your brothers?
    2. Is it ok to ask your parents to keep it a secret until you come out to your bothers? (After that happens they can tell whoever they want.)
    3. From what I have told you (obviously not every component) what do you consider to be the best and worst case scenarios?
    4. What do you think with happen? (humor me on this one, obviously you don't know enough to really know)
    5. I want to come out to them at dinner in a restaurant. Is coming out to your parent in a public place a good idea? Anyone else come out to their parents in a public place?

Thanks!

2. David21201

It is TOTALLY ok to come out to your parents and not your brothers. I, however, wouldn't let your parents tell anyone out of risk of other family finding out especially if you dont want them to know. Worst case scenario would probably be them not talking to you for awhile. Best case scenario would be them alreafy knowing and being fully accepted without a hitch. It seems your parents are pretty accepting so don't worry too much. As for coming out at a restaurant... I'd be careful. If they do react badly and start yelling it'll be embarrassing. Personally I'd wait till you get home afterwards. Just tell them and I think you will be alright.
    Good luck