1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my best friend...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KingJude, Dec 8, 2014.

1. KingJude

So. I'm out to two people now. Yay! But, I really really want to tell my best friend. We share everything, and it feels wrong not to tell him. He has shown some flippant homophobia in the past, but I am so close to him. I have to tell him. How should I test how he will react? Also, how should I come out to him? By message, or face to face? The problem is, we talk so much more openly by message, and I think it might be easier to judge his reaction by message because he is so shy. Also, how do I make it clear that I am not interested in him, without it sounding weird?

So many questions! I probably am overthinking it, but any advice would be welcome! :grin:

2. ABambi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would recommend face to face even if he is shy. By text he might not take it as seriously and it's harder to convey emission by text as they can't hear what tone you say things in. I would suggests going to a place that is neutral so it is easy for either of you to leave if needs be and to make sure that you keep your cool no matter what the reaction. It sounds like hell be fine about it. Good luck

3. Erick

How valuable is your relationship with him? If it's valuable then do it face-to-face.

Never come out to anyone over any means of electronic devices. He loves you as a friend and you should love him back enough to be comfortable to tell him anything. I came out to my friend face-to-face and he told me we'd always be monkeys fighting crime. I don't know what that meant but I knew it meant he accepted me for who I was.

I wish you the best of luck with your conquest of revealing your true identity !

4. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would suggest in person as well. Maybe a quiet, public-ish place. If you aren't out to your family, you may not want to do it at your place, as you may not be able to guage how he'll react initially. I know my best friends were more upset that I hadn't told them previously, than in me being gay. Good luck, but also realize his initial reaction may not be his final reaction. Keep us posted!!

5. KingJude

Thanks for all the advice! His friendship is really important to me, which I guess is why I'm so afraid that he will react badly. I'll try and tell him face to face. I guess you are right, that by message it's harder to convey emotions.

Thanks guys!

6. KingJude

Sorry for the double post, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice about this section of my initial question:

7. danielo21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you want to make clear that you are not interested in him, talk to him about an imaginary guy you are interested in. this way you:
    -avoid him thinking you are interested
    -coming out in the most casual way possible is the best, especially with friends. everyone knows about crushes. However, because straight people don't come out, they freak out a little if you are very solemn about it.

BE CONFIDENT. BE CONFIDENT. BE CONFIDENT. BE CONFIDENT. If you appear shy and afraid he will unconsciously think that being gay is something to be ashamed of. show him that you love who you are . STAND YOUR GROUND

I can't predict his reaction. remember that a lot of guys your age are homophobic JUST to fit but they don't have any problems with gay people. remember also that people that are not confident in their own sexuality can be homophobic. remember that he maybe needs some time to get use to it, the same way we gay people needed time to being comfortable with ourselves.

in any case, I will say again. BE CONFIDENT (it worked for me)
    keep us posted!

8. KingJude

Thanks so much! :grin: The problem is, that we are both socially awkward, so being confident would go against all of my basic instincts xD I'll try and make it not seem like a big deal, but if he reacts negatively then I really don't know what I'll do. He's like my brother. But if he's a true friend, he will understand. I'm sure he will. Thanks for the advice though, I'll definitely try and be as confident as possible. I'm not sure about the whole imaginary guy... He knows I know nobody outside of school, so he'll ask me who...

I've decided that I'm definitely going to tell him, so I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

9. SouthernGeek

Good luck! I think danielo gave some good advice. Not that I've done it myself, I'm still figuring it out myself so I've only told a few people. I just know that sometimes people may react not because they truly are homophobic, but because they are just surprised by it and don't know how to deal with it.

I'm 45 now and my best friend I think tried to come out to me when we are about 17, and I think I handled it badly. I didn't freak out, I stayed calm, and I didn't say anything hurtful, but I remember he then backtracked and said "Just kidding, I was just seeing how good of a friend you were." or something like that. I felt like a failure because i didn't believe the backtracking, and keep thinking about how maybe if I had said the right thing he would have "stayed out."

My only point is remember that the person you come out to is going through some junk, too. Everybody has their "stuff" -- insecurities, fears, etc.

10. David21201

I told my best friend over text, but she didn't believe it.Face-to-face worked waaaaaaaayyyy better. As for the not interested part just play it cool.

11. KingJude

Thanks for all the help! :grin:

I tried to tell him today... But I couldnt. :frowning2: I really tried hard, but I just couldn't do it. It seems strange, but he is the person I am most scared of coming out to. Probably because he matters to me so much, and also, I feel that if he takes it badly, he is the one who can harm me the most. I know you've all diverted me from telling him electronically, and I understand why, but I really can convey emotion better through typing, as can he. I'm still going to try and do it face to face, but I do think I'll have to tell him by message if I can't bring myself to do it.

12. SouthernGeek

In the end it is your decision, and you know your friend and yourself best.

13. KingJude

You are right, of course, but I still think face to face would be better, but by message will have to do if I can't bring myself to do so.

14. danielo21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ---------- Post added 10th Dec 2014 at 09:29 PM ----------

[/COLOR]coming out to an important person is like trying to pronounce Voldemort for the first time in Harry Potter. At first Only Dumbledore did.( pretty good metaphor isn't it:grin:)

ok now serious. Your "problem" is that you are so worried about his reaction that you can't see that this is not about himself, this is about YOURSELF. It's your coming out.

I thing I learnt is that it is very difficult to predict the success of a coming out. We think we know people but they surprise. My grandmother is conservative, religious and anti-gay. when my uncle came out last year, she was eager to meet his new boyfriend.

in the worst scenary
    If he doesn't accept you he is not the friend you think he was. hard I know, but coming out allows us to test people. Would you want to have for a friend a person who rejects you based on sth as personal and harmless as sexuality? I don't think so.

you can do it!! BE CONFIDENT :icon_bigg. if you have any kind of doubt dont hesitate is telling us.

#14 danielo21, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  15. KingJude

Lovely analogy! :grin:

You're right. I know you are. If he doesn't accept me, then why would I want to be his friend? I'm still not sure I'll be able to do it though... I'll really try. I will.

Thanks so much for your advice, danielo, and everyone else too. You're really helping me!

16. danielo21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Your welcome. coming out is not a duty and in the end is up to you. I see that you are very young and you have already came out to some people and that is a very big step to be praised.

17. KingJude

Thank you. I'm definitely not ready to be out to everyone. I'm not sure I ever will, but the people who ought to know, I am slowly telling. This will probably be the biggest one yet.

18. KingJude

An update!

Not a very major one however, :frowning2: I was going to tell him today, but he was in choir, so I couldn't get chance. However, I came out to my counselor! Woo! She actually said that I could come out to him in person, or by message, and that it didn't really matter, as long I make it clear that I am not interested in him. I'm going to a concert with him on Saturday, and then he's sleeping over at mine. I may find an opportunity to tell him then.

19. IWICCO

Go for it! I just told my best friend last week that I am bi. He was so supportive and made it clear that it had no impact on our friendship. If he is truly your friend he will have no issue. That said I do understand your hesitation. It took me 3 years to tell my friend. Don't wait as long as I did.

20. crazyDepression

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The first timw i came out was to my friend who wasnt really my "best-friend" but i still did it cause it has been hurting so much to keep my emotions bottled up but what really surprised me was what she said afterwards which really impacted me deeply in a good way . She said "Don't change , i think it'll be
    great to have a gay friend" and that just reassured me that despite my sexual orientation , she will always be there for me and she did so by being so bluntly said that i shouldnt cut cause of my depression cause i always had someone i can rely on and that was her . Now we're still the best of friends and hope the same goes to you! Good Luck and if he was your best friend he would accept you no matter the circumstances!(*hug*)(!):thumbsup: